Wolfpack and Terps, one more time?
03/05/2014 11:33 AM
02/15/2015 10:39 AM
Maryland's last ACC football game was against N.C. State. The Terrapins could leave the conference the same way in basketball.
N.C. State and Maryland will meet in the ACC tournament in Greensboro next Thursday, if Florida State beats Syracuse on Sunday in the regular-season finale.
It would be a fitting sendoff for the Terps, who are leaving for the Big Ten in June. State and Maryland met in one of the best college basketball games ever 40 years ago in the same building in the 1974 title game.
The Wolfpack won that game 103-100 in overtime and went on to win the NCAA title. The NCAA tournament rules changed after that game to allow more than one team per conference in the tournament field.
N.C. State (18-12, 8-9 ACC) can still finish as high as seventh in the ACC. If the Wolfpack beats Boston College on Sunday and Florida State (9-8 ACC) loses to Syracuse, the Pack would be the No. 7 seed and play at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the ACC tournament.
If Florida State wins Sunday, it would clinch the No. 7 seed and push the Wolfpack into the 8-9 game with Maryland in the ACC tournament, no matter what the Pack does against Boston College in its regular-season finale. The 8-9 game is at noon Thursday. The winner would meet No. 1 Virginia in the same time slot Friday.
Maryland (8-9 ACC) would be the No. 8 seed with a win over Virginia on Sunday and an N.C. State loss to Boston College. The Wolfpack, which beat both FSU and Maryland, would be the No. 8 seed with a win over BC and an FSU win over Syracuse.
N.C. State can't fall below the No. 9 seed, which means it's guaranteed to avoid Wednesday's play-in round after Miami's loss at Clemson on Wednesday.
The Wolfpack will start Thursday regardless. The tournament seeding scenarios for N.C. State, UNC and Duke, courtesy of Syracuse Post-Standard writer Patrick Stevens:
N.C. State• The Wolfpack will be the No. 7 seed with a win AND a Florida State loss;
• The Wolfpack will be the No. 8 seed with a win AND a Florida State win;
• The Wolfpack will be the No. 8 seed with a loss AND a Maryland loss;
• The Wolfpack will be the No. 9 seed with a loss AND a Maryland win.
UNC• The Tar Heels have clinched a double-bye into the quarterfinals
• The Tar Heels will be the No. 2 seed with a win AND a Syracuse loss
• The Tar Heels will be the No. 3 seed with a win AND a Syracuse win
• The Tar Heels will be the No. 4 seed with a loss
Duke• The Blue Devils have clinched a double-bye into the quarterfinals
• The Blue Devils will be the No. 2 seed with two wins
• The Blue Devils will be the No. 3 seed with a win over North Carolina AND a loss to Wake Forest
• The Blue Devils will be the No. 3 seed with a loss to North Carolina AND a win over Wake Forest AND a Syracuse loss
• The Blue Devils will be the No. 4 seed with a loss to North Carolina AND a win over Wake Forest AND a Syracuse win
• The Blue Devils will be the No. 4 seed with two losses
Join the Discussion
News & Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.