• Charlotte Hornets coach Steve Clifford said he does not anticipate Lance Stephenson (pelvic sprain) will resume playing the next few games. It sounds like the Dec. 26 road game at Oklahoma City would be the soonest Stephenson could be available.
• The Hornets nearly doubled the Jazz in first-half assists (13-7). The ball-movement was as crisp as at any time this season. But the defensive rebounding left a lot to be desired: The Jazz generated 14 points off nine offensive rebounds.
Never miss a local story.
• Early in the second quarter, Al Jefferson pulled a “Diop” at the foul line – an air ball.
• Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is one of those “stats don’t measure it” guys. His energy and competitiveness rub off on others. It’s no surprise how bad the Hornets’ record is when he doesn’t play.
• You can debate forever whether Gordon Hayward would have been worth $63 million to the Hornets. But there is no question his size and skill would have made them a better team.