• New Bobcats coach Steve Clifford used 10 players before halftime Wednesday. Conspicuously shooting guard Ben Gordon was not among them. Gordon missed the past three exhibitions to have PRP therapy (Platelet-Rich Plasma) done on a knee in Phoenix.
• The rust of missing three weeks with a right ankle sprain certainly was apparent for Bobcats center Al Jefferson. Houston center Omer Asik didn’t have much trouble disrupting Jefferson’s up-and-under moves at the rim. Jefferson needs time to get back his conditioning and re-establish synergy with teammates.
Never miss a local story.
• One of the things that changes when you go from being an assistant to a head coach: With three games in the season’s first four nights, Clifford spent most of Wednesday afternoon looking at preseason video of the New Orleans Pelicans, the Bobcats’ opponent Saturday.
• Considering how good the Rockets are supposed to be and all the excitement over signing Dwight Howard, it’s surprising how many empty seats there were at Toyota Center.
• Bobcats small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist continues to struggle to score if he’s not in a transition opportunity, a carryover from the preseason.