• Charlotte Bobcats coach Steve Clifford got a little carried away trying to talk to his team in the first quarter. He was so far on the other side of the scorer’s table from the Bobcats bench, he could have reached out to Cleveland’s Mike Brown.
• Nice front-row seat for Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera for the opener. Rivera and Clifford are two of the nice guys in coaching.
Never miss a local story.
• I was surprised the referees didn’t at least consider giving a flagrant to Cleveland’s C.J. Miles for the hard foul he applied to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Kidd-Gilchrist drove hard to the rim all first half and that looked like a statement foul.
• There were enough empty seats at Time Warner Cable Arena that for a minute I thought I was at a NASCAR race.
• I wonder if Josh McRoberts got word of all the praise he drew from owner Michael Jordan in the Observer interview. A Tar Heel praising a Blue Devil. And they say world peace is unachievable.
• I really like the Cavaliers’ acquisition of Jarrett Jack. Cleveland is right on the cusp of playoff contention and Jack was just the sort of veteran they needed.