• Bobcats power forward Josh McRoberts was excused from Wednesday’s game to handle a personal matter. Coach Steve Clifford chose to start Anthony Tolliver, rather than rookie Cody Zeller. Clifford said he didn’t want to disrupt Zeller’s rhythm with a one-game start: “Same role, same minutes, with the same guys.”
• Tolliver starts aren’t as rare as I would have imagined. He started 11 games last season for the Atlanta Hawks.
Never miss a local story.
• I spoke with former Bobcat Gerald Wallace pregame about being traded from Brooklyn to Boston in the big Kevin Garnett/Paul Pierce deal. Wallace seemed surprisingly at peace with playing a smaller role on a team in a major youth movement. He indicated that the mileage has caught up to him to a degree that he ought to be playing 20 minutes a game off the bench.
• New Celtics coach Brad Stevens mentioned a really interesting Bobcats stat in his pre-game media availability: The Bobcats average 38 free-throw attempts in victories but 15 in losses.
• How dramatic was the Celtics’ remake this offseason? There were plenty of green-and-white jerseys in the Garden stands Wednesday, but I didn’t see one for a player who participated against the Bobcats.