• Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers decided to rest Paul Pierce for Tuesday’s game. Asked why, Rivers deadpanned, “I’m just sick of him. Been with him too long.”
• Speaking of Rivers, he questioned the wisdom of the league asking the Celtics to make a three-hour flight, then play an early-afternoon game in Oklahoma City the first day of daylight saving time. Understand his frustration, but it’s called servicing the national television contracts with inventory.
Never miss a local story.
• Former Duke player Shavlik Randolph, playing on a 10-day contract with Boston, committed three fouls during his first eight minutes Tuesday. That sums up why he has struggled to stick with an NBA team.
• Ex-Bobcat D.J. White also is with the Celtics on a 10-day contract. He looks trimmer than he did last season in Charlotte.
• For stretches of the first half, Kevin Garnett looked like he might have needed a night off more than Pierce.