Miss America & Miss USA: Yes, there is a difference.
People often lump beauty pageants in the same category. They say the Miss America and Miss Universe/USA systems are nothing more than frivolous competition that has long since been irrelevant in popular culture.
The recent move by the America organization, however, to include a social media competition shows just how far they have evolved from the days of old in Atlantic City on the boardwalk.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
What’s really new, you ask?
The Miss America organization touts a talent competition, while Miss USA is more beauty and model-search driven. Interestingly enough, one of the most talked about politicians/celebrities has had a large hand in reinventing the Miss USA system. Donald Trump has helped create a culture in the Universe/USA organization as a TV-ready pageant, and Miss America is looking to grab some of his market share with this new format.
May the best crown win.
Trump News: The latest from #NBC
NBC officially fires Trump from “Celebrity Apprentice”: nando.com/1wl
The show will be back next season with a new host. What is Apprentice without Trump and the famous “you’re fired” line?
Don’t miss video: It’s all in a name
“The sign was about freedom of expression”
As #UNC moves forward with renaming a building on its Chapel Hill campus, geography professor Altha Cravey explains why she thinks Saunders Hall should have been renamed for folklorist, anthropologist and author Zora Neale Hurston instead: nando.com/1wn
In case you missed it
A community mourns and searches for answers. More than 200 gather to honor slain 13-year-old: nando.com/1wo
Top stories to read today at
▪ Wheeler Column: Hold a hand, share a meal, grow your world: nando.com/1wp
▪ Just when we thought it was safe to cut the cable cord at my house, this news breaks: “Sesame Street” heading to HBO in fall: nando.com/1wq
▪ A conversation with Duke’s Kelly Tilghman, female voice of the PGA Tour. She is the first female play-by-play commentator in PGA history: nando.com/1wr
▪ Saunders column: It takes a community – and then some – to get a handle on crime: nando.com/1ws
▪ Lenovo cutting 230 jobs in Triangle. Profits plummeted 51 percent in most recent quarter: nando.com/1wu