With a career spanning more than five decades, Dr. Lonnie Smith stands as jazz music’s preeminent Hammond B-3 organist. Earlier this year, he returned to the Blue Note label with the release of “Evolution,” an album that demonstrates his mastery. The National Endowment for the Arts also named Smith one of the 2017 NEA Jazz Masters Fellows, the nation’s highest honor in jazz. On Saturday, Smith will be joined by guitarist Jonathan Kreisberg and drummer Johnathan Blake for a show at N.C. State’s Stewart Theatre.
Tickets are $30-$35 ($7.50 for NCSU students). For more information visit live.arts.ncsu.edu.
- On Friday, Christie Dashiell plays at Beyu Caffe in Durham. 8 and 10 p.m. $11. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Also Friday, KING will perform at Motorco Music Hall in Durham. 9 p.m. $20-$25. Info: motorcomusic.com.
- Saturday, Soul Understated featuring Mavis ‘Swan’ Poole will be at Beyu Caffe. 8 and 10 p.m. $15. Info: beyucaffe.com.
- Nnenna Freelon and Scott Sawyer perform at Sharp Nine Gallery in Durham on Saturday. 7 and 9 p.m. $50 ($25 students). Info: durhamjazzworkshop.org.
- Also Saturday, Joanna Teters & Mad Satta with Queen’s Guard will play Raleigh’s Pour House. 9 p.m. $10. Info: thepourhousemusichall.com.