If you’re going to give your album a title like “Groove” – and with an exclamation point, no less – then you’d better deliver. And that’s what Raleigh’s Jamil “Boulevards” Rashad delivers on “Groove!” (Captured Tracks), a dozen tunes worth of sunny uptempo pop grooves that would be perfect for your next party. It’s like having prime-period Morris Day and The Time show up. Boulevards plays it live Friday night at Raleigh’s Lincoln Theatre, on a bill with TOW3RS and Hotline.
Showtime is 9 p.m. and tickets are $12. See lincolntheatre.com for details.
- Friday also brings singer/songwriter Damien Jurado to Durham’s Motorco Music Hall and the No BS! Brass Band opening a two-night run at the Back Room of Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle.
- The Cradle main room has some prime alternative-rock superstars this week, Guided By Voices on Saturday and Bob Mould with Birds of Avalon on Monday.
- Pretenders will play Durham Performing Arts Center on Sunday, the same night guitarist Adrian Legg is at Motorco and Jonathan Richman comes to the Cradle Back Room.
- The multi-faceted Elle King plays the Raleigh Ritz on Monday. Canadian power-pop ensemble Sloan brings its 20th-anniversary tour to the Cradle Back Room on Wednesday.
- And Thursday, UNC alumnus Brendan James returns to his old stomping grounds to play the Cradle Back Room while Helmet and Local H play Motorco.