Catch Nikki Lane at Cat’s Cradle – while you can
Honky-tonk bombshell Nikki Lane has always had a big booming voice to go with impeccable taste and a way with a sharp quip. But she’s never put it all together as seamlessly as on her new breakthrough album “Highway Queen” (New West Records), 10 tracks of succulent high lonesome twang with Lane herself as tour guide of the heart. She’s on her way up and there’s a very good chance she won’t be playing clubs for too much longer, so Lane’s Sunday night show at Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle is highly recommended. Brent Cobb and Jonathan Tyler are also on the bill, it starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $15-$45 (yes, they have actual VIP tickets for this one). See catscradle.com for details.
- Ex-Carolina Chocolate Drop Dom Flemons is back to headline a PineCone concert at Raleigh’s Fletcher Opera Theater on Friday, the same night NRBQ brings good times to the Cradle.
- Also Friday, Arturo O’Farrill’s Afro Latin Jazz Ensemble opens a two-night run at Duke’s Reynolds Theatre with Malpaso Dance Company, while WKNC’s two-night Double Barrel Benefit gets underway at Kings in Raleigh with DJ Paypal, Sarah Shook, See Gulls and others.
- Saturday brings “Last Band Standing” to Raleigh’s Lincoln Theatre, with Jon Stickley Trio, Cris Jacobs Band and Travers Brothership battling it out to see who gets to open for Ben Folds’ Band Together show May 6 in Raleigh.
- Tuesday brings Young the Giant to the Raleigh Ritz, plus ‘80s hitmakers English Beat to the Cradle — which has Japandroids on Wednesday. Also Wednesday, Ladysmith Black Mambazo sings at Durham’s Carolina Theatre.
- And KT Tunstall plays Carrboro ArtsCenter Thursday.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.