Like her fellow Canadian Joni Mitchell, Tamara Lindeman – sole constant member of The Weather Station, a folk-rock ensemble from Toronto – trades in uncomfortable feelings, situations and relationships. And for all the difficulty that Lindeman evokes, her musical settings convey such ease and elegance that it can take a while for the emotional thorniness to become apparent. The new Weather Station album “Loyalty” (Paradise of Bachelors Records) is so luscious-sounding that it seems like sonic comfort food, up until the moment her subconscious uneasiness begins to manifest.
It’s quite a balancing act, and Lindeman will play it live with Andy Shauf and Jake Xerxes Fussell Saturday at Durham’s Pinhook. Doors open at 8 p.m., the music starts at 9, cover is $10-$12 and details are at thepinhook.com.
▪ Young-gun guitarist Jarekus Singleton plays the latest Warehouse Blues Series show Friday at Durham’s Central Park. Also Friday, The Old Ceremony kicks off a two-night run at Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle to herald the release of their solid new album “Sprinter” (Yep Roc Records).
▪ Raleigh’s Pour House hosts a “Revenge of the Brewery” extravaganza Friday and Saturday nights in remembrance of the late great Hillsborough Street nightclub with ex-V-Roy Mic Harrison, Insurgence, Bad Checks, the reconstituted Subliminal Surge and more.
▪ Saturday brings a fantastic blues/soul bill to Cary’s Booth Amphitheatre with Tedeschi Trucks Band, Sharon Jones and Doyle Bramhall II, as well as the unlikely pairing of emo kings Fall Out Boy and rapper Wiz Khalifa to Raleigh’s Walnut Creek.
▪ One has to wonder how dead-of-July hot Wednesday night is going to be when Idina Menzel fires up her “Frozen” signature “Let It Go” at Raleigh’s Red Hat Amphitheater.
▪ It’s a D Generation quasi-reunion Thursday at the Pour House, with Richard Bacchus opening for Jesse Malin. And Sam Smith, the English soul singer who swept this year’s Grammy Awards, performs Thursday at Raleigh’s PNC Arena.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.