Lyle Lovett brings his Large Band to Durham
Some years back, I was watching Lyle Lovett put his Large Band through its paces onstage. And the show was as wonderful as always, moving seamlessly between Western swing, jump blues, jazz and country, overlaid with the droll singer-songwriter literacy of one of Texas’ best wordsmiths. But mostly, I was struck by the musical attention to detail. Lovett could probably pull off 90 percent of the Large Band’s live-show nuances with half as many musicians (and expenses), but it’s to his credit that the remaining 10 percent means enough to him to keep a dozen-plus-member ensemble on the road. Lovett will return to Durham Performing Arts Center Saturday, Large Band in tow. Showtime is 8 p.m. and tickets are $45-$100 (plus taxes and fees). See dpacnc.com for details.
- Friday brings Boston emo band Piebald to Saxapahaw’s Haw River Ballroom, singing actress (or is that acting singer?) Juliette Lewis to Durham’s Motorco Music Hall, Big Daddy Love to Raleigh’s Lincoln Theatre and Vintage Trouble opening for Dixie Chicks at Walnut Creek’s Coastal Credit Union Music Park in Raleigh.
- Saturday’s Groove in the Garden festival at Raleigh Little Theatre features Fight the Big Bull’s Matthew E. White, Inflowential , Hammer No More the Fingers, Holy Ghost Tent Revival, Skylar Gudasz, Debonzo Brothers a regrouped Fabulous Knobs (!) and more.
- Elsewhere Saturday, Sam “Iron & Wine” Beam plays Raleigh’s N.C. Museum of Art, Def Leppard tops a Walnut Creek triple-bill with REO Speedwagon and Tesla, reunited indie-rock band Rainer Maria plays Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle and Winston-Salem blues-rockers Luxuriant Sedans open for the Kinks tribute band Well Respected Men at the Cradle Back Room.
- Wednesday brings Nashville’s Delta Saints to Raleigh’s Pour House, and NEEDTOBREATHE to Raleigh’s Red Hat Amphitheater.
- Thursday, this week’s Oak City 7 free show at Raleigh’s City Plaza features Kasey Tyndall, Nasty Habits and Roman Spring.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.