Location, location, location! Some area restaurateurs are taking heed of this real estate mantra by moving their restaurants to more propitious addresses.
Jibarra (www.jibarra.net) is closing its doors Aug. 3 in North Raleigh and will reopen in October in the historic Depot building in downtown Raleigh's Warehouse District. Owner Joel Ibarra says he's tweaking the restaurant to give it a more casual and vibrant feel suitable to the new location. He's partnering with his father, Jose Ibarra, to transform the old Jibarra spot into Rodeo Grill, a contemporary spinoff of the Ibarra family's El Rodeo restaurant chain, targeted to open in late August. I'll have more details on both restaurants as their openings near.
In Chapel Hill, Lex Alexander has packed up the press pots, coffee cups and wine bottles at the Franklin Street location of 3 Cups (http://3cups.net). He'll unpack them in late October or early November at 227 Elliott Road, where a much larger space will allow him to expand his wine selection and add a wine tasting area to his coffee shop.
Meanwhile, just a few doors down from 3 Cups' new location, Zorba's has pulled up stakes after 18 years on Elliott Road. Owner Iris Andros has reopened her Greek restaurant near RTP in Durham and renamed it Zorba's Grille (4716 N.C. 55; 544-9200). Initially, the restaurant is open for lunch weekdays and brunch on Saturdays and Sundays, offering an abridged version of the old menu. Andros hopes to expand the menu and open for dinner in coming weeks.
In Apex, you can follow the savory smell of smoke from the old location of Dixie Belle's Bar-B-Q (www.dixiebellesbbq.com; 303-6676) on U.S. 64 to its spiffy new digs in Davis Drive Village at 1001 Davis Drive. Owner Rich Kazazian is now serving beer and wine, and has expanded his barbecue and fried chicken menu to include smoked sausage, signature sandwiches and hot dogs.
Other restaurateurs are expanding their geographic coverage by cloning their successful restaurants in new locations:
- The Chocolate Bean (www.thechocolatebean.com; original location in Fuquay-Varina) has opened a second location in Cary (280-103 Meeting St.; 233-3554), with an expanded bakery offering and full espresso bar.
- Daniel's (www.danielson55.net; original location in Apex) has opened an outpost with a full bar and an 80-bottle wine list in Fuquay-Varina (818 N. Main St.; 552-8868).
- In Durham, Saladelia (www.saladelia.com) is slated to open a second location July 21 in the American Tobacco complex (406 Blackwell St.; 687-4600), where the restaurant's healthy fare will be sold "grab and go" style, prepackaged in environmentally friendly containers.
- Tyler's Taproom (www.tylerstaproom.com; established locations in Carrboro and Durham) has opened a third location in Apex (1483 Beaver Creek Commons Drive; 355-1380).
- Also in Apex, a second location of YoHo Asian Bistro (www.yohoasianbistro.com; 2026 Creekside Landing Drive; 387-7022) has opened, just three months after the original restaurant opened in Cary.