The triangle is home to a number of public gardens for gatherings, gardening ideas, or just a day in the sun.
- NC Botanical Garden: Located near the UNC campus on Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill, the botanical garden features display gardens, nature trails, and education programs. Phone number is 919-962-0522. Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- JC Raulston Arboretum: Nationally acclaimed garden with one of the largest and most diverse collections of landscape plants adapted for landscape use in the Southeast. Located at 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh. Phone number is 919-515-3132. Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (April through October) and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (November through March).
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens: Consists of three major parts: the original Terraces and their immediate surroundings, the Blomquist Garden of Native Plants (a representation of the flora of the southeastern United States), and the Culberson Asiatic Arboretum (devoted to plants of eastern Asia). The Gardens cover 55 acres in the heart of Duke University's West Campus, which is adjacent to Duke University Medical Center. The address is 426 Anderson Street, Durham. The contact phone number is 919-684-3698. Hours: Daily 8 a.m. to dusk.
- Jaycee Daylily Garden: Which is located at 2405 Wade Ave., Raleigh. The phone number is 919-831-6833.
- Raleigh Municipal Rose Garden: Historic garden featureing 1,200 roses of 60 different varieties blooming from late May until autumn, as well as seasonal flowers such as bulbs, annuals, trees, and shrubs. Located at 301 Pogue Street. Raleigh. The phone number is 919-821-4579.
- WRAL Azalea Gardens: Located on the grounds of WRAL-TV 5 studios at 2619 Western Blvd., Raleigh, featuring 45 varieties of azaleas. The phone number is 919-821-8555. Featured in Our State magazine. Hours: Daily dawn to dusk.
- Coker Arboretum: Developed in 1903 as an outdoor classroom for the study of trees, shrubs, and vines native to North Carolina. Today the collection consists of a wide variety of plantings including flowering trees and shrubs as well as bulb and perennial displays. Located on the corner of Cameron Avenue and Raleigh Street on the UNC campus, Chapel Hill. Contact phone number is 919-962-0522. Hours: Daily dawn to dusk.
- North Carolina Executive Mansion Gardens: Consisting of nine separate gardens, each with its own unique character, reminiscent of the Mansion's Victorian heritage. Located on 200 North Blount Street, Raleigh. Contact phone number is 919-807-7948. Garden tours in the spring and fall, by reservation.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer