Every year, on the first Friday in June, doughnut shops around the country take part in National Doughnut Day.
Its origins go back to 1938, when The Salvation Army sold doughnuts to honor those who served doughnuts to soldiers and to raise funds.
In more recent years, it’s a good excuse to sample your favorite doughnuts.
Here’s a roundup of deals at Triangle doughnut shops. Be prepared for crowds.
▪ Carolina Glazed Donuts: 5400 S. Miami Blvd., Durham. One free doughnut, no purchase necessary. https://www.facebook.com/Carolina-Glazed-Donuts-1591521561088265/
▪ Daylight Donuts: 7550-101 Creedmoor Road, Raleigh. Buy any drink, get a free glazed doughnut. There will also be a drawing at the end of the day with one customer winning a dozen doughnuts every month for a year. Calling ahead to place an order 919-272-1748 is recommended. daylightdonutsraleigh.com
▪ Dunkin’ Donuts: Several locations throughout the Triangle. Buy any beverage, get a classic doughnut free. dunkindonuts.com
▪ Krispy Kreme: Several locations throughout the Triangle. Get one free doughnut of any kind, no purchase necessary. krispykreme.com
▪ Monuts Donuts: 1002 Ninth St., Durham. Get a dozen doughnuts for $15 all day. (A dozen doughnuts typically is $18.) monutsdonuts.com
▪ Rise Biscuits and Donuts: Locations in Raleigh, Durham, Morrisville and Holly Springs. The doughnut shop will donate 10 percent of Friday’s sales to local chapters of the Salvation Army. risebiscuitsdonuts.com
Leah Moore: 919-829-4671. Twitter: @leah_moore1