The Big Biscuit Showdown is an apt description of a competition whose winner goes home with a Big Biscuit Showdown belt – plus some bragging rights.
The second annual event features 13 teams of chefs from Rise Biscuits Donuts – from across North Carolina, plus Richmond, Va. – paired with local breweries and beverage companies. Each chef is tasked with making a biscuit and doughnut with creative toppings and fillings that can be paired with the beverage companies’ drinks.
The event is Thursday, July 27, from 6 to 9 p.m. at The Rickhouse in downtown Durham.
Guests taste and then vote for their favorite combination.
This year’s biscuit and doughnut creations and pairings are:
▪ Rise Cameron Village & Trophy Brewing Company
▪ Rise Carrboro & Steel String Brewery
▪ Rise Charlotte Ballantyne & Ponysaurus Brewing
▪ Rise Charlotte Steele Creek & D9 Brewery
▪ Rise Durham Southpoint & Bean Traders Coffee
▪ Rise Greensboro & Preyer Brewing
▪ Rise Holly Springs & Carolina Brewing Company
▪ Rise North Raleigh & Neuse River Brewing
▪ Rise Wilmington & Iron Clad Brewery
▪ Rise Brier Creek & Fair Game Beverage, The Brothers Vilgalys and Crude Bitters
▪ Rise Downtown Durham & Fullsteam Brewery
▪ Rise Morrisville & Wicked Weed Brewery
Preliminary menu items include: Lemon-mascarpone filled donut with a blueberry icing and maple cream drizzle; Orange Creamsicle donut with an orange zest cream filling and orange glaze on top; Pancetta, Smoked Gouda, and a seasoned oven-fried tomato biscuit; Smoked Beef Brisket Biscuit with caramelized onions, coleslaw, and a green-hatch chile aioli; and Pickled Shrimp on a biscuit with dilly green beans, cherry tomatoes and a green goddess dressing.
Tickets are $50. Proceeds go to the Duke Cancer Institute’s Give 1 For Dad campaign, which is raising money to launch a clinical trial to test a new approach to treat advanced prostate cancer patients.
Tickets can be bought in advance at bigbiscuitshowdown.com. The Rickhouse is at 609 Foster St.
Jessica Banov: 919-829-4831, @JessicaBanov