Triangle restaurants, hotels and spas rank among the best in the world, according to the Forbes Travel Guide 2017 Star Awards that were announced Wednesday.
The awards include a global group of the world’s finest hotels, restaurants and spas “from Barcelona to Bali to Bogota.”
The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary is the state’s only five-star ranked hotel, according to the list.
The Fearrington House Inn is the Triangle’s only four-star ranked hotel. Carolina Crossroads Restaurant, at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill, and Fairview Dining Room in Durham are the four-star ranked restaurants in the Triangle. The Spa at Fearrington and the Umstead Spa are four-star ranked spas.
Other North Carolina restaurants and hotels on the list are:
▪ Inn on Biltmore Estate, Asheville
▪ Old Edwards Inn and Spa, Highlands
▪ The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, Charlotte
▪ The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
▪ Gallery Restaurant, Charlotte
▪ The Spa & Wellness Center, Charlotte
▪ The Spa at Ballantyne, Charlotte
▪ The Spa at Old Edwards, Highlands
▪ Dining Room at Inn on Biltmore Estate, Asheville
▪ Madison’s Restaurant and Wine Garden, Highlands
▪ BLT Steak, Charlotte
▪ Kimball’s Kitchen, Duck
▪ Sanderling Resort, Duck
Forbes Travel Guide’s scoring system uses a proprietary algorithm that weighs service at 75 percent and quality of the facility at 25 percent. Forbes inspectors anonymously evaluate properties against up to 800 standards in 162 destinations in 42 countries.
The five-start ranking for Umstead, Herons and Fearrington House is the latest accolade they’ve received. Last week, chefs Steven Devereaux Greene of Herons and Colin Bedford of The Fearrington House were announced as a semifinalist for Best Chef: Southeast for the James Beard Foundation Awards.
Abbie Bennett: 919-836-5768; @AbbieRBennett