Small amounts of chemicals that spilled at a resin plant in Moncure last week reached the Haw River, but none of the chemicals were detected downstream and no public water systems have reported any problems, state officials said Tuesday.
Arclin, a company that supplies resin used to make particle board, told state officials that a vessel containing formaldehyde and phenol overheated and blew off about 113,000 pounds of vapor early last Tuesday. The vapor condensed and fell to the ground as liquid, according to the Department of Environmental Quality.
Some of the chemicals reached a storm drain running into the Haw, and state tests confirmed that small amounts reached the river, DEQ said Tuesday.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.