Coronavirus omicron updates: Here’s what to know in North Carolina on Dec. 28
Click here for updates for Dec. 29.
We’re tracking the most up-to-date information about the coronavirus and vaccines in North Carolina. Check back for updates.
More than 1,900 hospitalized
At least 1,639,545 people in North Carolina have tested positive for the coronavirus, and at least 19,308 have died since March 2020, according to state health officials.
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Tuesday, Dec. 28, reported 3,698 new COVID-19 cases, down from 4,469 on Dec. 27 and 5,729 on Dec. 26. Due to the Christmas holiday, the state hadn’t updated daily case counts since Dec. 22.
Over the past six days, the state has added more than 32,000 coronavirus cases, up from about 22,300 the previous six days.
There were 75 additional coronavirus-related deaths on Dec. 28. Health officials don’t specify the dates on which newly reported deaths occurred.
At least 1,992 people were reported hospitalized with COVID-19 on Dec. 28, up from 1,837 the day before, health officials said.
As of Dec. 26, the latest date with available information, 21.9% of coronavirus tests were reported positive. Health officials say 5% or lower is the target rate to slow the spread of the virus.
Roughly 74% of adults in North Carolina have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, and about 69% have been fully vaccinated. Out of the state’s total population, about 59% are fully vaccinated and 63% have received at least one dose. State officials round vaccination numbers to the nearest whole number.
Some stores close temporarily amid uptick in COVID cases
Some stores in Charlotte and the Apple store in Durham have temporarily closed amid a rise in coronavirus cases.
At least three stores in Charlotte have shut down — including Lunchbox Records, Moxie Mercantile and NoDa Bodega — after members of their staffs tested positive for COVID-19, CharlotteFive reported.
The Apple store at the Streets at Southpoint mall in Durham was also closed on Tuesday, Dec. 28, according to The News & Observer.
A sign on the door didn’t say why it was closed or when it would reopen.
“We look forward to seeing you soon,” the sign said.
The announcement follows a report by The New York Times that said Apple had “closed some stores as a precautionary measure to protect employees or because some stores did not have enough healthy employees available to work,” according to The N&O.
NC State, UCLA Holiday Bowl canceled
The Holiday Bowl in which N.C. State University and UCLA were set to play on Tuesday, Dec. 28, has been called off after an issue within the Bruin’s defensive line room, according to an initial report from Bruce Feldman.
The cancellation comes after the Bruins had COVID-19 issues with other programs on campus.
“We are deeply disappointed for our young men in the football program that worked extremely hard for this opportunity,” UCLA said in a statement. “The health and safety of our students will always be our North Star.”
N.C. State confirmed the bowl had been canceled in a statement just after 12:30 p.m.
“Heartbroken to not be able to compete one more time this season,” the statement read. “We were informed a short time ago that our opponent would be unable to play this evening.”
Charlotte doctors urge residents to ‘reconsider New Year’s Eve plans’
A doctor in Charlotte warned people to reconsider their New Year’s Eve plans, cautioning that the latest variant of the coronavirus, omicron, is extremely contagious.
Atrium Health infectious disease expert Dr. Katie Passaretti said people who haven’t been vaccinated, have weakened immune systems or who are older adults should be extra cautious, The Charlotte Observer reported.
“For everyone, I would encourage people to reconsider their New Year’s Eve plans,” she said. “If they’re in indoor settings in particular.”
At least three locations in Charlotte have already canceled their New Year’s events amid a surge in cases.
They include NoDa Company Store, VBGB Beer Hall and Garden and its neighbor from the same owners, 8.2.0 Event Space, CharlotteFive reported.
What to know about COVID testing sites in Wake County
The line to get tested for COVID-19 at the Kidd Road site in Raleigh is still long as demand for tests remains high between Christmas and New Year’s.
Though most of Raleigh’s testing sites are busy, Kidd Road has experienced particularly high traffic and long lines, The News & Observer reported. Some people reported spending more than an hour at the testing location.
“We anticipate there being an increase in testing over the next few days as we lead into New Years due to travel, holiday gatherings and potential exposures,” said Leah Holdren, Wake County’s communications consultant.
Anyone looking to get tested needs to make an appointment, according to The N&O, and officials recommend using a QR code in the confirmation email to speed up the process.
Here’s what else to know before going to get tested.
New Year’s Eve celebration in Raleigh to have COVID precautions
A New Year’s Eve celebration in Raleigh will take precautions as the coronavirus continues its spread.
First Night Raleigh, a downtown tradition since the 1990s, is planning for the event to be only outside. Organizers will also require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test for outdoor venues.
Here’s what else to know about the vaccine requirement, parking and more at the event.
Across the Triangle, venues in Cary, Durham and Raleigh also have plans to ring in 2022.
“If you do attend a gathering for New Year’s Eve, do everything you can to protect yourself and those around you,” said Dr. Peyton Thompson, a pediatric infectious disease expert at UNC Health.
Those measures include getting vaccinated, wearing face masks in crowded places, washing your hands, practicing social distancing and taking a COVID-19 test before an event, The News & Observer reported.
Wells Fargo changes office plans as COVID continues to spread
Wells Fargo bank, a major North Carolina employer, has made another change in its plans to bring workers back into the office.
After delaying the return to in-person work several times, the company is postponing those plans indefinitely. The latest change comes as the threat of the omicron coronavirus variant looms.
“We are continuing to closely monitor the environment with the health and well-being of our employees as our priority,” Wells Fargo said in a statement, according to The Charlotte Observer.
COVID postpones college basketball games
Two upcoming Duke University men’s basketball games are postponed due to COVID-19.
Due to coronavirus concerns within the Blue Devils program, the team won’t go to Clemson or Notre Dame this week, The News & Observer reported.
In addition, North Carolina’s home game Wednesday against Virginia Tech was postponed after the Hokies had several people within their program enter protocols.
Last week, the Atlantic Coast Conference changed its protocols, allowing teams to declare “no contest” if not enough coaches and players are available. Teams previously had to forfeit. The ACC added a new policy on Monday, Dec. 27, that allows a vaccinated player who tests positive for COVID-19 to be cleared to play after one of two scenarios.
▪ At least seven days have passed since the first positive test, symptoms are improving and the player has a negative test within 24 hours of being cleared
▪ Once asymptomatic, the player has two negative tests from specimens collected at least 24 hours apart
Davidson college also announced on Tuesday, Dec. 28, it will delay the start of the conference season for the men’s and women’s basketball teams, citing COVID-19 protocols.
This story was originally published December 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM.