* County seat of Durham County
* Named for Bartlett Snipes Durham, a country physician who donated land for a railroad depot between Hillsborough and Wilson in 1853
* Home to Duke University, N.C. Central University, Durham Technical Community College and the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics for gifted high school students.
* Nicknamed the City of Medicine, it houses Duke Hospital, which boasts a global clientele including Saudi royalty, and Durham Regional Hospital.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* Total population according to 2005 state data: 204,527
* White population in 2000 Census: 46 percent
* Black Population in 2000 Census: 44 percent
* Other: 16 percent
* Median age: 31
* Median household income in 2000 Census: $41,160
* Education attainment: Bachelor's degree or higher, 40 percent; high school graduate or higher, 83 percent.