Next year's new seven-period schedule at Chapel Hill high schools:
* Classes, now 55 minutes, will shrink to 50 minutes.
* The school day will get 15 minutes longer, dismissing at 3:50 p.m.
* An unofficial "zero period," in which students can earn credits by taking lessons before their first official class, will be dropped.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
* Most students will be expected to attend a teacher-supervised study hall during the added period.
* The schedule will be used only for a year. A more complex, seven-period "hybrid" schedule kicks in in 2007.