Suspect confessed to Capital Boulevard shooting that left Raleigh man dead, police say

Darius Jamal Harris-Allen
Darius Jamal Harris-Allen CCBI

Police say they have obtained a confession in the death of a 21-year-old Raleigh man in February.

Investigators say Darius Jamal Harris-Allen admitted shooting Darrell Travonne Willie Greene in a Capital Boulevard parking lot Feb. 24, according to search warrants released Wednesday.

Harris-Allen, who was arrested on the day of the shooting, told investigators he “shot the victim multiple times with a .22 caliber handgun,” the warrants say.

Greene was sitting in the driver’s seat of a Nissan Maxima in a parking lot near the intersection of Capital Boulevard and Starmount Drive shortly after 4 a.m. when he was shot. A friend drove him in the Maxima to WakeMed Raleigh where he died, according to the warrant.

Witnessing a crime and reporting it can be just as frightening as being the victim of a crime. Here’s what you should do if you witness illegal activity.

Police also interviewed a woman they say Harris-Allen had asked if she knew where he could find Greene, the warrant says.

Harris-Allen, 26, was charged with murder, according to court records.

Two other men also were charged with murder in connection with the shooting.

Noel Adolphus Matthews, who was arrested March 3, denied to investigators any involvement with the shooting, the warrant says.

Investigators say a white Ford F-150 pickup truck owned by Matthews was seen near the scene of the shooting, according to the warrant. Police say they believe Harris-Allen and Matthews were using Facebook Messenger to communicate before the shooting, the warrant says.

Leondra Montel Perry-Yarbrough was apprehended Feb. 26 after he ran from several officers who were trying to arrest him, the warrant says. He had eluded officers on the day of the shooting when he jumped out of a car at a traffic stop and ran, police say. He told investigators he was at home in Wake Forest at the time of the shooting, the warrant says.

All three men are being held in the Wake County jail without bail.

Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer