Substandard care found at Baby+Co. birthing center in Cary
A natural-birth center in Cary which drew state scrutiny last year after three infants died in the span of six months says it will shut down.
Baby+Co. sent a notice out to its clients Tuesday announcing the business would close May 15.
“It is with great sadness that I share the news that on May 15th, 2019, our Baby+Co. center in Cary will close,” the announcement said.
The statement says the company will continue to deliver babies until it closes, and that it also will provide prenatal care for clients while they are making the transition to other providers.
Two other Baby+Co. locations in the state also will close, according to a statement on the company’s website. A phone call seeking a comment about the company’s shutdown was not returned.
The statement cited challenging business conditions as a reason for the shutdown.
“We did not make this decision lightly, but market conditions and the payer landscape in North Carolina made these centers financially unsustainable,” the statement said.
The Cary facility opened in October 2014 and had delivered more than 1,200 babies until it temporarily halted deliveries in March 2018, The News & Observer previously reported.
Baby+Co. was not fined or required to take corrective actions as a result of the state’s findings. Natural birth centers are not subject to state inspection, but Baby+Co. voluntarily agreed to a state review.
Baby+Co. said it met all safety standards and resumed delivering babies after conducting its own internal review.
North Carolina is one of nine states that does not regulate natural birth centers or require a state license or permit to operate. Two bills regulating natural birth centers have been filed in the legislature this session.