Gas leak closes Wade Avenue near downtown Raleigh
Most of Wade Avenue has reopened to traffic after a natural gas leak Thursday afternoon near Cameron Village in Raleigh, media outlets reported.
The leak was near the intersection of Wade Avenue and St. Mary’s Street, according to ABC11, The News & Observer’s media partner.
The leak forced the closure of Wade Avenue between Glenwood Avenue and Woodburn Road as well as St. Mary’s Street between Wirewood and Williamson drives, Raleigh police said in a news release. As of Thursday evening only the intersection at St. Mary’s Road remained closed, WRAL reported.
Dominion Energy officials told ABC11 an excavator hit a four-inch gas line, causing the leak. Crews are making repairs, ABC11 reported.
Some nearby homes and businesses were evacuated, ABC11 reported.