Upcoming events for Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville.
The Stevens Nature Center holds activities at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve, 2616 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call 919-387-5980.
▪ Junior Naturalist: Fall Fun (ages 5-8 with a caregiver): 1-2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 13. Cost: $8 resident, $10 nonresident.
▪ Eco-Explorers: Exploration: Owls (ages 7-10): 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 13. Cost: $12 resident, $16 nonresident.
▪ Eco-Express: Fall Nature Adventures (ages 8-12): 10 a.m. to noon Monday, Nov. 14. Cost: $12 resident, $16 nonresident.
▪ Nature Fun: Finding Animal Homes (ages 4-5): 1-3 p.m. Nov. 14-15. Cost: $24 resident, $32 nonresident.
▪ Kids Fun Days: Treasured Trees (ages 5-8): 10 a.m. to noon, Tuesday, Nov. 15. Cost: $12 resident, $16 nonresident.
A Doorway to Hope
A Doorway to Hope’s Angel Tree Project is seeking families or groups to “adopt” and provide holiday gifts for low-income working families in crisis. Grocery store gift cards and monetary contributions also are requested. For more information, go to bit.ly/2fkKyLC.
▪ The International Travel Troop for Girl Scouts North Carolina Coastal Pines holds a Craft and Vendor Fair from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, at the Apex Chamber of Commerce, 220 N. Salem St. bit.ly/2faJ7lu
▪ The Mistletoe Madness Holiday Market is noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10 at the Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Clubhouse, 602 N. Ennis St. bit.ly/1yCXT4H
Letters to Santa
Drop off letters to Santa Monday, Nov. 21, through Friday, Dec. 9, at the special Santa Mailbox at Cary Town Hall, 316 N. Academy St. Include the child’s name and address on each letter in order to receive a response from Santa. For more information: 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ.
Gingerbread house contest
Registration is due Wednesday, Nov. 23, for the sixth annual Gingerbread House Competition Saturday, Dec. 3, at participating downtown Cary businesses. Winning houses will be on display throughout December at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave. Honorable mention entries will be on display Dec. 6-16 at The Cary Theater, 122 E. Chatham St. 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ
Town offices in Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs and Morrisville are closed Thursday, Nov. 24, and Friday, Nov. 25, in observance of Thanksgiving. Town facilities, including community and arts centers, also are closed both days. Wake County public libraries close at 6 p.m. Wed., Nov. 23, and will be closed Thursday and Friday. County parks are closed Thursday.
The Knights of Columbus Council 12119 and Rex Blood Services hold a community blood drive from 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1, at St. Bernadette Roman Catholic Church, 1005 Wilbon Road, Fuquay-Varina. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2efTbKB.
Tree lightings, parades
▪ The Town of Fuquay-Varina’s annual Christmas tree lighting celebration is 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 1, in the municipal parking lot at the corner of East Vance and South Main streets. The event will feature musical performances, a visit from Santa and more. Free. bit.ly/2f5JcFh
▪ Apex’s annual Christmas on Salem Street festivities kick off with a tree lighting ceremony at 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2. The event will feature Santa and Mrs. Claus, Christmas carols at the Depot, children’s activities and carriage and train rides. Tickets for carriage and train rides begin at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, and are available only online at EventBrite. bit.ly/2efTbKB
▪ The Town of Morrisville holds its annual tree lighting festivities from 7-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, at Indian Creek Trailhead, 101 Town Hall Drive. The event will feature musical performances, children’s activities, a visit from Santa and refreshments. Free. bit.ly/2eUJtKr
▪ The Apex Rotary Pancake Breakfast is 7-11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, at the Apex Downtown Fire House. Pictures with Santa is 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Apex Depot; cost is $25. The town’s Grand Christmas Parade is 5 p.m. on Salem Street. bit.ly/2efTbKB
▪ The Town of Cary’s official Christmas Tree Lighting is 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, outside on the Town Hall Campus, 316 N. Academy St. The event will feature area actors, singers and musicians. The Cary Community Christmas Tree also will be unveiled inside Town Hall. Free. For more information: 919-319-4560, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ.
▪ The annual Apex Historical Holiday Home Tour is 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4. Tickets are $10 per person and are available at the Apex Chamber of Commerce of the Rusty Bucket. bit.ly/2efTbKB
▪ The Fuquay-Varina Christmas parade is 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4, in the downtown Fuquay district. bit.ly/2fakvWL
▪ Main Street Christmas is 6-8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, at the Holly Springs Cultural Arts Center, Town Hall and various locations downtown. The free event will feature a tree lighting ceremony, Santa and Mrs. Claus, hayrides, live music, crafts and more. bit.ly/2fsSVp2
▪ The Happy Holly Days Christmas Parade is 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, on Main Street throughout downtown. Rain or shine. bit.ly/2fylAbb
▪ The Cary Jaycees Christmas Parade is 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, on Chatham Street downtown. bit.ly/2fekkv1
Holly Jolly gingerbread
Registration is due Friday, Dec. 2, for the Holly Jolly Gingerbread Contest. The contest is sponsored by the Coworking Station and is a fundraiser for the Holly Springs Arts Council. The public can vote on entries Dec. 9-10. For more information and to register, go to bit.ly/2eg36ji.
The Police and Firefighter Basketball Battle is 3-7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, at Holly Springs High School, 5329 Cass Holt Road. The event is a fundraiser for the school’s girls basketball team. Cost: $5. bit.ly/2faugHD
The annual old-fashioned Holiday Open House is 4-6 p.m. Dec. 3, at the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary. Victorian carolers, center tours, carriage rides, children’s activities and holiday treats will be featured. 919-460-4963, bit.ly/1GWZMCJ
Suggly Sweater 5k
Coworking Station, 104 W. Ballentine St., Holly Springs, sponsors the third annual Suggly Sweater 5K and Fun Run at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, at Sugg Farm at Bass Lake, 2401 Grigsby Ave., Holly Springs. The “ugly sweater” event is a fundraiser for Meg’s Smile Foundation. For more information and to register, go to sugglysweater5k.com or megsmile.org.
Tobacco Road Marathon
Registration is underway for the Allscripts Tobacco Road Marathon and Half Marathon March 19, 2017, on the American Tobacco Trail. The event is a fundraiser for the Hope for the Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Red Cross, the Rails to Trails Conservancy and Wake County Parks and Recreation. For information on cost and to register, go to tobaccoroadmarathon.com.
Send Community Notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.