Nominations are open to salute a community hero in the greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.
The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce each year recognizes people making Chapel Hill-Carrboro a thriving, healthy and sustainable community. This year’s Salute to Community Heroes awards ceremony will be held from 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 11, at University Mall.
Anyone can nominate an individual for the following awards:
• Citizen of the Year: Presented to an individual who believes that leadership and citizenship are the two essential ingredients to the community’s well-being. Candidates should embrace both qualities through service to civic or charitable organizations, through elective office or appointed position, and/or through encouragement of ethical business practices and commitment to excellence.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Town and Gown Award: Presented to an individual who fosters a mutually beneficial relationship between the community and UNC. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to civic affairs and demonstrate leadership in cultivating the relationship between faculty, staff, students and government officials, citizenry, and the business community.
• Jim Gibson Volunteer of the Year: Presented annually to an individual who has volunteered his/her time, talents and energy to enhance the quality of life in the community. Candidates should demonstrate an extraordinary commitment to volunteerism and service to our community.
• Irene Briggaman Lifetime Achievement Award: This special award for service, named in honor of its first recipient, is presented on occasion to individuals who have demonstrated a lifetime of exceptional public service and volunteerism in the greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro community in multiple capacities with different organizations. This special honor is only awarded when a nominee’s consistent volunteerism and service have made a profound impact on our community.
Other awards given at the Salute to Community Heroes include:
• UNC Department of Public Safety Officer of the Year
• Orange County Emergency Services Employees of the Year
• Chapel Hill Police Officer of the Year
• Carrboro Police Officer of the Year
• Chapel Hill Fire Fighter of the Year
• Carrboro Fire Fighter of the Year
You can download a nomination form at carolinachamber.org/salute. The deadline is 5 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 19.
To sponsor the Salute to Community Heroes, contact Aubrey Fox Williams at 919-698-6569 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact Chela Tu at 919-357-9990 or email@example.com.