The Chapel Hill Historical Society will hold its November program at 3 p.m. today. Linda Jacobson and John Blythe of Wilson Library’s North Carolina Collection will speak on the topic of “Saving Glen Lennox: A Case Study in Developer and Community Partnership.”
The apartments at Glen Lennox opened in 1950 to alleviate the housing shortage in Chapel Hill after World War II. When the owner of Glen Lennox, Grubb Properties, announced plans in 2008 to redevelop the area, residents of the apartments and surrounding neighborhoods formed in opposition. Since then, Grubb Properties has worked with tenants, property owners, and the Town of Chapel Hill to create a development plan that will preserve some of the history and traits that distinguish the neighborhood. This presentation recalls the neighborhood's history and examines the cooperative process to preserve it amid redevelopment.
This will be the last Historical Society program to take place in the lower level of 523 E. Franklin St. before the society moves to the Chapel Hill Public Library in early 2015. Historical Society programs are free and open to the public. Limited parking is available at 523 E. Franklin St. (the former Chapel Hill Museum building), but there is more parking available across Franklin Street and down South Boundary Street in a lot across from UNC Press.