A bird walk with the New Hope Audubon Society starts at 7:30 a.m. at the Wild Bird Center, 1800 E. Franklin St. Newcomers are welcome. Wear long pants and shoes for walking. For details, email David Anderson: email@example.com.
Planting Seeds Sangha
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
The Planting Seeds Sangha group meets to study and practice the Buddha’s teachings on mindfulness and meditation from 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesdays at the Church of the Advocate, 8410 Merin Road, Chapel Hill. Newcomers are welcome and no experience is necessary.
Transgender discussion group
Internationalist Books and Community Center’s transgender discussion group meets at 8 p.m. at 101 Lloyd St. This meeting is only open to people who are transgender or questioning. facebook.com/internationalistbooks.
Meet the Author Tea
A Meet the Author Tea with Ruth Moose, author of “Doing It at the Dixie Dew,” will be 3:30-5 p.m. in meeting room B of the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive.
Learn definitions and explanations of technology terms in a class at 6 p.m. at the Main Library, 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough. The discussion’s organizers recommend it for people buying new technology or learning more about their devices.
Carolina Mountain Dulcimers
The Carolina Mountain Dulcimers meet at 7 p.m. at the Carol Woods Retirement Community, 750 Weaver Dairy Road. People with all kinds of stringed instruments and all skill levels are welcome. For more information, call or email Shirley Ray: 919-929-5359, ShirleyRay@aol.com.
▪ The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon in the Carrboro Town Commons beside Town Hall at 301 W. Main St.
▪ The Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market is open from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at 201 S. Estes Drive.
The Carrboro Branch Library hosts story time for ages 2-5 at 10:30 a.m. Saturdays in December, except for Dec. 26, at 900 Old Fayetteville Road, Chapel Hill.
The Orange County Historical Museum’s Hometown Holidays celebrations are from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with special crafts, music and food at 201 N. Churton St., Hillsborough. An event for Diwali is on Dec. 19. Admission is free; a $2 donation is suggested. orangenchistory.org.
Pictures with Santa
Donate four or more cans of pet food at the Animal Services Center, 1601 Eubanks Road, Chapel Hill, on or before Saturday for a voucher for pictures with Santa. Pictures will be taken at the Animal Services Center from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday.
‘Love & Mercy’
The Chapel Hill Public Library shows “Love & Mercy” at 2:30 p.m. in meeting room B at 100 Library Drive.
Please send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Chapel Hill Public Library offers health insurance signup assistance during the open enrollment period from Nov. 1 through Jan. 31. To make an appointment to meet with Certified Application Counselors and Navigators, call 919-968-2780 or go to chapelhillpubliclibrary.org.
▪ N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the Chatham County Center of North Carolina Extension Service host a series of free workshops for local landowners. A workshop will be on Jan. 9. Register by email with “wildlife” in the subject line: email@example.com.
▪ Meet to send books to people in prison 1-4 p.m. Sundays at 621 Hillsborough Road, Carrboro. prisonbooks.info.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets 4-5 p.m. Sundays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. 919-360-3789.
▪ Breastfeeding Cafe, an informal drop-in for breastfeeding moms, is 10-11 a.m. Mondays at the Red Hen, University Mall, 201 S. Estes Drive.
▪ Women 55 and older walk trails in Meadowmont at 3:30 p.m. Mondays. 919-967-4054, firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Anorexia Bulimia Anonymous, a 12-step program for people with eating disorders, meets 7-8 p.m. Mondays in room 17 at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill. triangleaba.wix.com/meeting.
▪ Overeaters Anonymous meets from 7-8 p.m. Mondays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road: 919-259-2843. Meetings are also held from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at Evergreen United Methodist Church, U.S. 15-501: 919-933-1355. Another group meets 12:30-1:30 p.m. Thursdays at Carrboro United Methodist Church, 200 Hillsborough Road. This group meets in the white building beside the main church building, directly across from Looking Glass Cafe.
▪ Gamblers Anonymous meets at 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Amity United Methodist Church, 825 Estes Drive. Call Tom at 919-460-9039.
▪ A 12-step program for relatives and friends of addicts meets 8-9 p.m. Mondays at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3638 Chapel Hill Road, Durham. 919-596-2915, nar-anon.org.
▪ A needlework group that creates knitted and crocheted items for charities meets 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, in Meeting Room A. 919-968-2780.
▪ Residents 50 and up play bingo from 2-3:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro. 919-918-7364.
▪ A Meditation 101 class introduces beginners to meditation from 7-8:15 p.m. every Tuesday at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. Walk-ins are welcome. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ The Chapel Hill Zen Center hosts a group with a Buddhist perspective on 12-step programs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at 5322 N.C. 86. Meetings begin with 20 minutes of silent meditation. 919-265-7600, ZenandRecovery@gmail.com.
▪ The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance support group meets from 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays at Binkley Baptist Church, 1712 Willow Drive. 919-533-9510.
▪ The Optimist Club of Chapel Hill meets at 5:30 p.m. on the first, second and third Wednesdays of the month at the Bob Evans restaurant, 5419 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham. New members are welcome.
▪ The People of Color Meditation Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at the Chapel Hill Zen Center, 5322 N.C. 86. For details, email Conal or Kriti: email@example.com.
▪ An introduction to Buddhist philosophy, psychology and meditation will be from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Kosala Buddhist Center, 711 W. Rosemary St., Suite E, Carrboro. meditationinchapelhill.org, KosalaEPC@gmail.com.
▪ Chess players are invited to the Orange County Main Library from 6-7 p.m. Thursdays on the second floor of the library at 137 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough. If you plan to time games, bring your own clock or timer. Ages 10 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
▪ Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous meets from 10:30 a.m. to noon Fridays at the United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. foodaddicts.org.
To add your club to the calendar or update your group’s meeting time or location, send information two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.