Poll: beard or no beard for UNC’s Larry Fedora?
The big news from last week’s annual Bill Dooley Pigskin Preview? UNC’s pending answers to the NCAA? Who will start at quarterback?
It was that UNC coach Larry Fedora showed up sporting a beard.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
As is the case with these things sometimes, Fedora’s beard can be traced to the women in his life – his daughters, Sydney, Peyton and Hallie, and his wife, Christi.
At some point this summer, the continued growth of Fedora’s facial hair became a topic at home.
“They were trying to decide on how long I could keep it,” Fedora said of his daughters and the beard. He sounded a bit like a young boy who’d just brought home a lost puppy: How long can I keep it?
Then Sydney, a University of Texas student who’s interested in a career in sports broadcast journalism, executed a daring maneuver. She sought the opinion of people on the Internet. She posed a simple question with a poll on Twitter: Should @coachfedora keep the beard? (http://bit.ly/29WDxiq)
A little more than 350 people voted. Among those, 72 percent said yes, Fedora should keep it.
Read more about it in newsobserver.com/sports at bit.ly/2afYVzJ.
DOCTA Juniors tennis tournament starts Friday
The Durham-Orange Community Tennis Association will partner with Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation to host DOCTA’s Open Junior Tennis Challenge Tournament in Chapel Hill, July 29-31.
The USTA-sanctioned event for boys and girls, 12-18 years of age, will be played at least five tennis sites, including: East Chapel Hill and Chapel Hill High Schools; Cedar Falls and Ephesus Park; and Phillips Middle School.
Platek opts for Heels
Andrew Platek’s shooting ability might have been what caught Roy Williams’ eye at first. But that wasn’t the only thing Williams liked about Platek, a rising senior who graduates from high school in 2017.
“He said I made a good play and then I made another good play and another one,” Platek said earlier this month. “So it was just a series of things that I guess I did that he took attention to and was impressed by. So that was cool to see.”
Andrew Platek, a 6-foot-4 guard from Albany, N.Y., announced last Monday that he chose UNC over Stanford, Indiana and Davidson, among others. The recruiting analysts haven’t considered him to be among the top 100 prospects in the nation – though that might change when new prospect rankings are released at the conclusion of the summer evaluation period.
Nonetheless, Williams evidently saw enough in Platek to offer him a place at UNC. Platek is the second member of the class of 2017 to commit to UNC.
Jalek Felton, a heralded guard from South Carolina and the nephew of former UNC point guard Raymond Felton, committed to UNC in December 2015. Now it’s Platek, who is best known for his shooting.
That said, Platek was quick to answer when asked earlier this month about his summer priorities. He said he wanted to show “that I’m not just a shooter.”
“I’ve kind of broken that mold by attacking the rim and bringing the ball up and running the offense, and I want to be a guard that can play either spot,” he said. “I can obviously shoot the ball pretty well, but I want to be a person that can run the offense or set the team up if necessary.”
UNC ready to answer
There will be no delay this time. UNC is set to submit its response to the amended Notice of Allegations a week from Monday, athletic director Bubba Cunningham said.
The university received the amended NOA from the NCAA on April 25. NCAA protocol mandates that schools have 90 days to respond once they receive an NOA. For UNC, the 90th day falls on July 24, a Sunday, which means it has until Monday, July 25 to submit its response.
Cunningham said UNC is on schedule to respond by the Monday deadline. It’s unclear when a public version of the response will be available.
UNC’s response will be another step toward closure amid a long-running NCAA investigation into a scheme of suspect African Studies courses that required little to no work and often resulted in high grades. A disproportionate number of athletes, especially football and men’s basketball players, filled the classes for nearly two decades, from 1993 through 2011.
The NCAA Enforcement Staff, though, didn’t judge the veracity of the courses in the allegations it levied against UNC. The university faces a broad charge of lack of institutional control, which is the most damning charge against UNC, but the NCAA hasn’t characterized the courses as fraudulent. The NCAA also alleges that various employees at UNC violated NCAA principles of ethical conduct and provided athletes with impermissible academic assistance.
UNC’s response represents another step in the formal process of an NCAA investigation. The NCAA will then review the response. In the fall, UNC will appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions, which is the ruling body in an NCAA violations case.
A final ruling in the case isn’t likely to come before early 2017.