Zebulon Road Race
The Greater Zebulon 5K Road Race and a one mile fun run will be held June 6. Registration opens at 6:30, and the race begins at 8 a.m. at the Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N. Arendell Ave., Zebulon. Registration for 5K race is $25. Registration for the walk is $15. For more information or to register, go to http://ecrr.us/events/greater-zebulon-2014/.
The Zebulon Swimming Pool Association is offering American Red Cross Swimming Lessons to children ages 4-13. Session 1 will be from 9 to 10 a.m. Monday - Thursday, June 15-18. Session 2 will be from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday, July 27-30. Sessions are 4 hours of instructions with a 6 swimmers to 1 teacher ratio. $30 for nonmembers and $15 for members. Evening sessions will be offered in the later part of July and first part of August. To register or for more information, contact Barnanne Creech, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-291-9288.
Corvettes & Classics 2015
People’s Choice Corvette & Classic Car Show, hosted by the Eastern Carolina Corvette Club, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, June 20, at Universal Chevrolet, 114 N. Main St., Wendell. Awards presentation is at 3 p.m. For information call Buster Dawson, 252-289-6304 or Fletcher Bizzell at 919-738-1459.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Avenue.
Relay for Life events
▪ The Relay Road Runners are benefiting from the Friday, June 5 Glow in the Park Run at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary. To register and receive 10 percent off the registration fee, visit glowintheparkrun.com and use the promo code RELAYGLOW. For more information, contact Becky Deitrick at 919-523-8062.
▪ The fourth annual Car Show will raise money for ACS Relay for Life, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 6, Clyde’s Chapel Baptist Church. There will be food, children’s games, door prizes and a great car show. Admission is free.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. These classes will be held at Knightdale High School. For more information, contact 919-431-7593 or wcpss.net/adult-edu.
▪ Weight Training and Conditioning: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through June 25; $225.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
East Wake Senior Center is having a Spirit Night fundraising event, from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, June 9, at Zaxby’s on Knightdale Boulevard, Knightdale. All proceeds from food purchases will benefit the programs and services offered at East Wake Senior Center.
The East Wake Senior Center offers fitness and line dance classes, crafts, sewing classes and more for the active senior. The center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ The center offers a a Zumba Gold class with instructor Maria Bolanz from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesdays. Also, a yoga class with instructor Laura Wilson runs from 1 to 2 p.m. on Fridays.
▪ Shag/Ballroom dance classes are from 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays starting June 3 and ending July 22. Men and women are needed.
▪ Learn Tai Chi with instructor Norma Ferrell, from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Thursdays, beginning June 4. This is a 6-week class.
▪ The Senior Center offers acrylic art classes by instructor John Duzs from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays. A supply list for the class is available at the center. No experience necessary.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays: JobLink Job Assistance will offer help navigating job websites and submitting online applications.
▪ Learn about the new Book Club Assistance Service. Make an appointment with a librarian for help selecting and scheduling titles for your book club.
Wendell Community Library events
▪ Every Hero Has a Story: a Summer Reading Super Hero Kick Off Event, 11:30 a.m. Saturday, June 6, Wendell Community Library, 207 S Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Super Hero Story Time will be followed by Super Hero fun stations until 1:30 p.m. There will be face painting, Super Hero costume making, Super Hero agility courses, Spider Man target practice, Hulk strength test, Super Hero tattoo station, Super Hero Photo booths and more. Call for more details, 919-365-2600 or visit: www.wakegov.com/libraries.
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade on Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Zebulon Community Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.
Ready to Learn classes
The Eastern Region Ready to Learn program offers free classes at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com, or Janice Squires at 919-365-0921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.