Girl Scout leaders wanted
If you want to make a difference in a girl’s life and you want to help guide the leaders of tomorrow, become a Girl Scout leader. For more information contact Sara Olson, at 919-271-1183 or Mary Lundberg, at 919-779-2626.
CPR/First Aid class
The town of Knightdale is offering a CPR/First Aid class, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Sept. 28-30, Harper Park Building. Learn the life-saving technique of CPR and First Aid. $55. Register at: www.knightdalerecpay.com.
A shredding event will be held from 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29, at Knott Square Parking Lot, Wendell Boulevard, Wendell. A picnic supper will be provided.
Little Miss & Mr. Wendell Contest
Help support Little Miss & Mr. Wendell contestants in raising money for the local Wendell food pantries. The money raised by the contestants will be divided among the food pantries to prepare for the holiday season. Little Miss & Mr. Wendell will be chosen based on the girl and boy that raise the most money. Winners will be crowned after the Harvest Festival parade on Oct. 3. For more information, call 919-365-6318 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Zebulon Woman's Club and the Zebulon Chamber of Commerce are hosting a candidate's forum at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, at the Zebulon Rotary/Woman's Club Building, 405 West Sycamore St., Zebulon. Attendees and candidates are invited to meet and greet at the conclusion of the forum, which will give citizens an opportunity to ask candidates more direct questions on a personal basis.
▪ WakeUpWake County will host a candidate meet and greet for candidates in municipal elections in Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell and Zebulon, at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 15, at Knightdale Town Hall, 950 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale. The candidate event is intended to educate voters prior to municipal elections on Nov. 3.
Wendell Fire Dept. annual meeting
The Wendell Fire Department will hold its annual meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8, at Station No. 1, 2960 Wendell Blvd., Wendell. The meeting will include the election of members to the board of directors.
Shag lessons will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, beginning Oct. 8, at Archer Lodge Community Center, 14009 Buffalo Road, Clayton. Instructors are Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery. $40. Contact: www.ncshaglessons.com.
2015 Feed your neighbor 5K
Wendell United Methodist Church is holding a 5K race to raise money for its food pantry. This year's race will begin at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 17. Packet pick-up starts at 1:30 p.m. Runners of all paces, walkers and strollers are welcome. Register online at wendellumc.org, or mail your registration to Wendell United Methodist Church, PO Box 1925, Wendell, NC 27591.
Relay for Life events
Harvesters Church is planning a 5K run to raise money for the East Wake Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. The Harvesters 5K Steppin’ for a Cure Run will be held Oct. 17. Runners will begin and end at Zebulon Town Hall. To register visit harvestersnc.com. For more information call 919-426-0775.
Zebulon Parks & Recreation offers a package to Charleston, S.C. Oct. 19-21. Trip includes two nights at hotel, two breakfasts, two dinners, a guided tour, explore Middleton Place, boat cruise to Fort Sumter, visit to Charleston Tea Plantation and a stop at City Market. $409 per person-double occupancy, $509 per person-single occupancy. Final payment due Sept. 9. Contact Debbie Wheless at 919-823-0432.
The Wendell library will host a fall festival Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the library, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Activities include: pumpkin decorating (while supplies last), parade of costumes and treat walk, lawn games, make your own mask, halloween crafts, food truck, photo booth, and a not-so-scary story time at 11:30. Wear your Halloween costume and bring friends. No registration necessary.
Halloween Treat Trail
Wendell Park will be the site of a Halloween Treat Trail from 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 30, at Wendell Community Park, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. The event features hay rides, a costume contest and treats on the trail. Kids under 12 are free. To set up a table along the treat trail go to http://bit.ly/1OcMjIz for a form and email your form to Jpolaski@townofwendell.com.
Knightdale Parks & Recreation offers a trip to New York City Dec. 7-10. The trip includes four days, three nights, two dinners, Broadway show, guided tour of Brooklyn. $559 per person-double occupancy, $709 per person-single occupancy. Final payment is due Oct. 16. Call 919-217-2232 for more information.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-210-2580.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
▪ Wendell Park will host food truck luncheons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month. The park is located at 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
▪ Knightdale Station Park will host Food Truck Thursdays every week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 810 N. First Ave.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Wake Senior Center events
▪ Hearing screenings will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon Sept. 29.
▪ A fundraiser will be held at McLean’s Ole Time Café, from 6 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, at 418 W. Gannon Ave., Zebulon. Bring a flier to present with your receipt when paying for your order. Stop by the center to pick up a flier or call 919-365-4248.
▪ Open enrollment is Oct. 15-Dec. 7. SHIP Medicare counselor, Larry Bradbury will assist anyone needing to make changes. Call for an appointment. 919-365-4248.
▪ The East Wake Senior Center offers the following fitness and dance classes and more for the active senior. The center is located at 323 Lake Drive, Wendell. Call 919-365-4248 for more information.
▪ Zumba Gold with instructor Maria Bolanz from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
▪ Acrylic art classes by instructor John Duzs from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays. A supply list for the class is available at the center. No experience necessary.
▪ Yoga classes with instructor Laura Wilson from 1 to 2 p.m. Fridays.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ Moonlight Walk: from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 8. Families may stroll around the pond, learn about animals from Noah’s Landing, listen to music, and participate in child-friendly craft activities.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ JobLink job assistance will offer help navigating job websites and submitting online applications 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, 2 to 5 p.m. Thursdays.
▪ The new book club assistance service can help select and schedule titles for book clubs. Make an appointment with a librarian.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 North First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improve physical strength and flexibility and enhance mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ The K-5 Adventures takes place at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays, which includes: Lego Lab on Sept. 29.
▪ Storytime for preschoolers is at 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.
▪ Storytime for toddlers is at 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.