Barbecue Chicken sale
Knightdale United Methodist Church is selling barbecue chicken plates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 8, at 7071 Forestville Road, Knightdale. An $8 plate includes chicken, boiled potatoes, green beans, dessert and drink. All proceeds will support the Methodist Men’s ministries which include a community food pantry, college scholarship fund, a church emergency assistance fund and other ministries.
Zebulon Swimming Pool Association
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Class is starting in April. This 30-hour class is designed for ages 15 and over who are seeking certification. For more information, email email@example.com.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
Swim Team Parents/Swimming Kick-off meeting is from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sunday, May 1, at the ZSPA site, 309 West Glenn St. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Swim Team is seeking swimmers ages 3-18. Practices are from May 23 - July 24, mornings and/or evenings. ZSPA membership is required.
Volunteers are needed to help with the Read and Feed program at the Zebulon Boys & Girls Club. This program offers opportunities for volunteers to read with elementary school children on Mondays from 4:45 to 6:15 p.m. through May 16. For more information, visit readandfeed.org or contact program director Heather Cross at 919-538-3840 or team lead Carol Weeks at 919-269-8935.
East Wake Senior Center events
Call 919-365-4248 for more event information.
▪ Get tax help from now through April. Appointments are available on Monday and Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
▪ Tai Chi for arthritis with Norma Ferrel will be held at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesdays. This class places an emphasis on fall prevention.
▪ A caregiving support group will be held from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell.
Support Group for Caregivers
The Support Group for Caregivers, sponsored by Resources for Seniors, is led by a trained Alzheimer’s facilitator. Regular meeting dates are from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month at the Wendell Community Center, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. The support group is a confidential safe place to share one’s challenges, frustrations, sadness, and loneliness with others. To register call 919-365-4248.
ESL (English as a Second Language) classes are from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Green Pines Baptist Church, 1498 Hodge Road, Knightdale. For details, call 919-266-1613.
NAMI Connections Support Group
NAMI Connections Support Group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, at Northside Community Church, 621 N. First Ave., Knightdale. All are welcome. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) provides free support groups for adults living with a mental illness. Contact Lisa at 919-819-1580 for more information.
Carlton Vinson and Brandi Dockery are teaching shag lessons at the Archer Lodge Community Center. The beginners class is at 7 p.m. and the beginners 2 class is at 8 p.m. every Thursday night. $40. To register, come to the Community Center 15 minutes before the first class time. For more information go to www.ncshaglessons.com.
Knightdale leaf collection
Curbside loose leaf collection is underway now in Knightdale. Please move any loose leaves to the curb for collection while avoiding utility boxes, mailboxes and other obstacles. Keep branches and other debris separate. Go to http://bit.ly/1NrFLVX to find leaf collection dates for each neighborhood.
East Wake Education Foundation
The East Wake Education Foundation hosts recurring events throughout the year. For a complete list, visit www.EastWakeEducationFoundation.org. Events are held at the East Wake Education Foundation Family & Child Resource Center, 16 E. Fourth St., Wendell.
▪ Play Day is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
▪ Teachable Monday, which offers an in-house field trip or story time and crafts, is at 10 a.m. Mondays.
▪ Ready, Set, Read is at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The program, for children ages 4-5, teaches symbol and sound recognition, and writing practice.
▪ Wacky Wednesday offers music, stories and art at 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
▪ Thumpin’ Thursday, at 10 a.m. Thursdays, is an exercise program that helps children develop motor skills.
East Regional Library events
East Regional Library at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale has an extensive list of activities for the whole family. Find a complete list of events at www.wakegov.com/libraries or call 919-217-5300.
▪ East Regional Library offers storytime for various ages. Baby Storytime is 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Toddler Storytime is 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. Preschool Storytime is 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Mondays, and 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. Thursdays. Family Storytime is 10:30 a.m. Saturdays and 1:30 p.m. Sundays.
▪ School-Aged children’s programs include: K-2nd grade Adventures, where kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more is at 6 p.m. every Tuesday in March. 3rd–5th Adventures, where grades 3-5 kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more is at 4:30 p.m. every Thursday in March.
▪ Adult programs include: Deciphering Crime: How To Solve A Mystery, from 7 to 8 p.m. March 30.
Knightdale Parks and Recreation
▪ Knightdale Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs is offering a Pilates class from 7 to 8 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, at K-FIT Center, 426 N. First Ave. Pilates is a system of exercises that improves physical strength and flexibility and enhances mental awareness. For adults 18 and older. $5.
▪ The Ready to Learn program offers free classes for children ages 2 to 5, at Knightdale Parks and Recreation, 950 Steeple Square Court. All classes require parent participation. For more information, contact Shelia Dodd at 919-365-2606 or email@example.com.
Wendell Library events
Wendell Community Library holds events for children in kindergarten through fifth grade at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, 207 S. Hollybrook Road, Wendell. Call 919-365-2600 for more information.
▪ Story times begin at 10:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday-Friday and 11:30 Saturdays. Children to age 5 and their caregivers will participate in a program that incorporates age appropriate books, music, rhymes and movement. No registration required.
▪ K-5 Adventures is at 4:30 p.m. every Tuesday. Kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
▪ ABC Craft & Snack program: 10:30 a.m. every Saturday, for ages 3-5. Free.
▪ Marbles Kids Museum play dates: 3 to 5 p.m. the first Saturday of each month, for ages 3-5. Free.
Zebulon Library events
Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, hosts several ongoing events. For information, visit wakegov.com/libraries/locations or call 919-404-3610.
▪ Story time: 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
▪ K-5 Adventures: 4:30 p.m. Thursdays.