Spring registrations, tryouts
• Baseball tryouts for boys ages 9-10 (as of April 30, 2015) will be held 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, with a rain date Sunday, Jan. 25, at the Doug Proctor Field, 601 W. Third St., Wendell. For details, email Kevin Driver atKevinDrvr@bellsouth.net
• Baseball tryouts for 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14 select/travel baseball teams will be held Sunday, Jan. 25, at Knightdale Elementary’s Field 3, 109 Ridge St., Knightdale. Ages 9-10 and 11-12 will try out at 1 p.m., and ages 13-14 will try out at 4 p.m. For details, email Troy Dickens firstname.lastname@example.org
• T-ball, baseball and softball registrations are now available with Wendell Parks and Recreation. Leagues include T-ball for children ages 3-4; coach pitch for children ages 5-6; baseball for boys ages 7-8, 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14; and softball for girls ages 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12. Fees for ages 3-6 are $25 for Wendell residents or $45 for non-residents; and fees for ages 7-14 are $45 for residents, $65 for non-residents. To register, go tosecure.leaguepilot.com/go/2128
• T-ball, baseball and softball registrations are now available with Zebulon Parks and Recreation. Leagues include T-ball for children ages 3-4 and 5-6; coach pitch for boys ages 7-8; baseball for boys ages 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14; softball coach pitch for girls ages 7-8; and softball for girls ages 9-10, 11-12, and 13-14. Fees for ages 4-6 are $30 for Zebulon residents or $50 for non-residents; and fees for ages 7-14 are $40 for residents, $60 for non-residents. Registrations will be held through Jan. 30 at the Zebulon Town Hall and Zebulon Community Center.
• TriCounty Futbol Club is accepting registration for the spring season. The soccer club is available at TCFCNC.com or through Darin or Stephanie Dixon at 919-760-5126.
• NC Hustle Basketball in Knightdale will host workouts for ages 13 and under (as of Aug. 31) from 6 to 8 p.m. every Sunday Feb. 1 to 22 at Knightdale Baptist Church, 15 Main St., Knightdale. Participants are advised to bring a basketball and $10 for gym rental. For details, email Kelly Fox email@example.com
Fly fishing clinics planned
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will offer four basic fly-fishing clinics Jan. 17 and 31, and Feb. 14 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center ponds in Fayetteville. The Wildlife Commission designed the clinics for participants who have limited or no experience fly fishing. Instructors will teach the basics of fly-casting. They also will teach multiple fly-casting techniques, including on-the-water instruction. Two additional clinics for Boy Scouts who want to earn fly-fishing merit badges are scheduled for Feb. 28 and March 14. Clinics are limited to 30 people each, and registration at www.ncwildlife.org/learning is required. A registration fee of $5 for each participant will be collected the morning of the clinic by the Fayetteville Cumberland County Parks and Recreation Department. For more info, 910-868-5003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth-only waterfowl hunt
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission has a limited number of permits remaining for a special youth-only waterfowl hunt on Jan. 31 on Currituck Sound. The cost is $5 per youth hunter and the deadline to purchase a permit is close of business, Jan. 15. Permits can be purchased at any wildlife service agent location, online at www.ncwildlife.org or by calling 1-888-248-6834. The hunt is for ages 12-15. Youth hunters must hold hunter education certification to participate in this permit hunt. During the hunt, the youth must be accompanied by a licensed adult. The adult is not allowed to hunt and does not need a permit. Both the youth and accompanying adult must attend a mandatory orientation session on Jan. 30. The check-in, dinner, and orientation will be held Jan. 30 – one day before the hunt – at the Hampton Lodge on Waterlily Road in Coinjock. The Currituck Waterfowl Association will provide boats, life vests, decoys and guides for the hunt. Youth hunters must bring their own shotguns and steel shot. Info: B.B. Gillen at 919-218-3638 or email@example.com.