MLK Jr. observances
• The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Annual Celebration Committee, Garner Concerned Citizens United and the Town of Garner will host the 5th annual Celebration of the Life and Legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at 4 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 18, at the Garner Performing Arts Center, 742 W. Garner Road. The keynote speaker will be the Rev. Vernon Tyson. For details, call Dwight Rodgers at 919-601-5372.
• The 2015 Johnston County Chapter of the NAACP will host a Martin Luther King, Jr. breakfast at 8 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 24, in the Paul A. Johnston Auditorium on Johnston Community College’s main campus in Smithfield. Crystal Renee Sanders, assistant professor of history and African-American studies at Pennsylvania State University, will be the keynote speaker for the breakfast. For details or ticket information, call Tyronne Richardson at 919-384-6266.
Upcoming classes at JCC
Johnston Community College will offer the following computer classes for the spring semester beginning in January. Classes take place at the Johnston Community College in Smithfield, or at the Johnston County Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton. To register, visit or call the Registrar’s Office at 919-209-2522.
• MS Word Certification: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, Feb. 3-26, at the Workforce Development Center. Registration is $73.
• MS Excel Certification: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, March 3-26, at the Workforce Development Center. Registration is $73.
• Beginner’s Guide to Computer Operation: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, March 3-26 in room 164 of the Elsee Building on JCC’s main campus. Registration is $73.
• MS PowerPoint Certification 2010: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, April 7-23, at the Workforce Development Center. Registration is $72.
Able to Serve, Inc. will host a Community Valentine’s Dance for older teens and adults with special needs from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6, at Holland’s United Methodist Church, 9433 Ten-Ten Road, Raleigh. Admission is free and snacks will be provided. Brooks Bristow will DJ, Alossi Renewal Spa will do makeup and Studio 121 will style hair. For details, call 919-779-5545.
An artists’ reception for the African-American Women art exhibit will be on display from 2 to 4 p.m. through Feb. 28 in the front lobby of the Garner Performing Arts Center, 742 W. Garner Road. The exhibit showcases the art of LeGrant Taylor, Eric McRay, Shawn Etheridge, FRANCO, Jermaine Powell, Delvecchio Faison and Jaylan Rhea. For details, call 919-661-4602.
Support group meeting
Mount Zion United Methodist Church will host a Christmas dinner meeting of the Healing Hope Cancer Support Group at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 15, at 15772 N.C. 50 N., Garner. Cancer survivor Angela Denton Foss will speak. For details, email Joan Neuner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southeast Regional Library events
Southeast Regional Library hosts free and inexpensive events to help educate local residents and promote literacy at 908 7th Ave., Garner. For details, go to WakeGov.com/libraries.
• 3 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 17: Join Mac Barnett for a TED Talk on “Why a Good Book Is a Secret Door.”
• 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 24: Learn to set up your business accounting the right way the first time with Raleigh SCORE. Learn basic accounting principles, explore features of QuickBooks and discover how to record basic transactions.
Garner Senior Golfers
Men and women 55 years and older are invited to join Garner Senior Golfers each Tuesday morning at local golf courses for a round of golf and fellowship. Call Jerry Hargis at 919-772-7904 for more information.
Aversboro Run Club
Aversboro Run Club meets at 6 p.m. every Thursday outside Aversboro Restaurant & Sports Bar, 1411 Aversboro Road, Garner. The club is open to every runner and walker, and runs set routes of 3, 4 and 5 miles covering many paces. The restaurant offers food and drink specials to all walkers and runners upon return.
A food pantry is open from 9 a.m. to noon on the second Saturday of each month at Christ Community United Methodist Church, 1082 Amelia Church Road, Clayton. The food is free to anyone presenting an ID card. For more information, call 919-934-0213.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.