Democratic women hold celebration
The Democratic Women of Johnston County will hold their annual Women’s Equality Day celebration 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 22, at Market Street Coffee and Bakery, 227 E. Market St., Smithfield. Attendees are invited to wear vintage hats to commemorate the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. For information, call Pat LeGrand at 919-550-6898.
Chamber office closes
The Greater Cleveland Chamber of Commerce office is closed Aug.12-16. For information, visit http://www.greaterclevelandchamber.com/ or call 919-773-8448.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Southeast Regional Library has an extensive list of activities for the family in August, including several programs highlighting American music and artwork. Bassoonist John Pedersen will perform at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 29. Pedersen’s performance is part of the North Carolina Symphony’s Instrument Zoo series for young children. All programs are free.
For more information, visit www.wakegov.com/libraries/events or call 919-662-2250.
• Garner Senior High School class of 1978 is holding its 35th year reunion 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13 at the Garner home football game vs. Cary at Trojan Stadium, and 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at Aversboro Restaurant and Sports Bar in Garner. The charge is $15. Make checks payable to “GSHS class of 1978” and send to Kim Mundy Byars, 2603 Cravenridge Place, Garner, NC 27529. For information email, firstname.lastname@example.org@gmail.com. RSVP on the Garner Class of 1978 Facebook group page.
• Garner Senior High School class of 1973 is holding its 40th year reunion 7:30-11:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the University Club, 4200 Hillsborough St., Raleigh. For information, email email@example.com@gmail.com or write GSHS Class of 1973, PO Box 37983, Raleigh, NC 27627.
Johnston County Alumni Chapter of N.C. Central University meets at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 5, at Johnston Piney Grove Baptist Church, 1691 Barber Mill Road, Clayton.
RSVP to Margaret Barbee, 919-585-2934, or 215-840-6877.
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
• “Motherread,” is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years Parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, call Erica Reid at 919-202-0002 ext. 258 or email firstname.lastname@example.org@pfcjc.org.
The Lake Benson boathouse is open for the season at 975 Buffaloe Road, Garner. Hours are 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturdays, and noon-7 p.m. Sundays. Boat rentals start at $4 an hour. No private boats are allowed. Free fishing is available from the dock. Call Stephanie Shaffer at 919-661-6892 or visit www.garnernc.gov.
Wake Tech Community College will offer summer camps for middle and high school students.
Topics include engineering, youth entrepreneurship, video game design, robotics, drama, photo editing, biotechnology and website creation. Visit http://summercamps.waketech.edu or call 919-866-5820.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
JCC classes and workshops
• Johnston Community College offers several applied industrial technology continuing education courses. For information or to register visitjohnstoncc.edu
or call Brenda Harris, at 919-209-2522.
• Foundations in Entrepreneurship begins Aug. 20. In this eight week course students will develop a complete business plan through an understanding and application of fundamental business planning principles.
To register online go to johnstoncc.edu. For information call Rosa Andrews at 919-209-2015.
• Johnston Community College’s Corporate Solutions is offering several training workshops this summer for business and industry professionals. Call Shelley Gardner at 919-209-2591 or email email@example.com@johnstoncc.edu for more information.
• Johnston Community College will offer several new summer courses including: Beginner’s Guide to Computers, Keyboarding, Microsoft Excel 2010 for Beginners and MS PowerPoint 2010. JCC is also offering an Office Applications Certificate course and a Human Services Certificate.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.