Democratic women’s dinner
The Democratic Women of Johnston County will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19 in the fellowship hall at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 218 S. Second St., Smithfield.
Republican women’s dinner
The Johnston County Republican Women will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19 at Festejos Restaurant, 905 E. Main St., Clayton. Dutch Supper held at 6 p.m. Guest speaker will be Joy Jones, Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Elections. Jones will discuss the election reform laws recently passed by the General Assembly. Registered Republican women and their spouses are invited to join in this discussion. For more information, contact JCRW President Teresa Grant, 919-606-1070.
A POW/MIA remembrance ceremony will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20 at the Garner VFW Post 10225. The Post is located at 1706 W. Garner Road in Garner. For more information, call 919-772-1072.
McCullers Ruritan Club is hosting its semi-annual fundraiser barbecue from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27 at their club building at 8116 Ten-Ten Road, Raleigh. Customers can eat in or take out. Plates are $8.
Frank Creech Art Gallery will host an exhibition and reception in recognition of Raleigh artist Elizabeth de Sherbinin’s recent works. The display will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, Sept. 16 through Oct. 4. The reception will take place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19 at the Frank Creech Art Gallery. For more information call 919-209-2032.
The Johnston County Animal Protection League is having its last dog wash fundraiser of the season from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14 at their annual open house at 115 Shelter Way, Smithfield. For more information, visit www.jcapl.org.
Budgetwi$e is a free economics workshop focused on saving money and budgeting. It will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Cooperative Extension Office, Johnston County Center, 2736 Highway 210, Smithfield. For more information and to register, contact Jayne McBurney at 989-5380.
Marching band expo
The Johnston County High School marching bands will perform for free at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17 at Charles T. Tucker Stadium at Smithfield-Selma High School. Gates will open at 6 p.m. The Spartan Regiment host band will have concessions available as a part of their fundraising efforts to support a trip to nationals at Mets Stadium in November. For more information, contact event coordinator Jennifer Hinton at email@example.com.
The Heritage Quilt Show is seeking sponsors to purchase display stands. There are four levels of sponsorship, ranging from $50 to $500 or more.
Tax-deductible donations and sponsors will be recognized on signage at the Opening Gala from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 10. For more information, call 919-989-5380.
Firemen’s Day is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the 50/210 Community Volunteer Fire Department, 50 Greenleaf Road, Angier.
Plates of barbecue chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers and drinks will be sold. The event will also feature a bounce house, live entertainment by Amanda Daughtry and a firefighting simulation game. The Ladies Auxiliary will offer a baked goods sale and an auction at 6:30 p.m.
For more information, call the fire station at 919-894-4763 or visit www.50210fire.com.
Celebrate diverse Latino cultures at Carnaval Latino from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, on the back lawn of the Garner Performing Arts Center, 125 Avery St., Garner. The event will offer traditional and contemporary experiences of Latino cultures through food, music, dance and art. For more information, call 919-773-4458.
The film “The Avengers” will be screened during Friday Family Flick at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Lake Benson Park, 921 Buffaloe Road, Garner. Bring food and beverages; snacks will be available for purchase.
Families can camp at the site by registering at 919-661-6982 or www.garnernc.gov. Registration is not required to watch the movie.
The Garner Optimist Club will host its 15th annual golf tournament at 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, at Reedy Creek Golf Course, 585 Reedy Creek Road, Four Oaks. The entry fee is $65 per player and $260 per team. Proceeds will benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. The entry deadline is Friday, Sept. 27. For more information, contact Paul Keene at 919-906-3206 or Bill Oates at 919-302-4648.
• Garner Senior High School class of 1978 is holding its 35th year reunion at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at the Garner home football game against vs. Cary at Trojan Stadium, and 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at Aversboro Restaurant and Sports Bar in Garner. The charge is $15. Make checks payable to “GSHS class of 1978” and send to Kim Mundy Byars, 2603 Cravenridge Place, Garner, N.C. 27529. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org
. Register on the Garner Class of 1978 Facebook group page.
• Garner Senior High School class of 1973 is holding its 40th year reunion 7:30-11:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the University Club, 4200 Hillsborough St., Raleigh. For information, email@example.com
or write GSHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 37983, Raleigh, N.C. 27627.
• The Garner Senior High School choral alumni will hold a reunion for all members between the years 1990-1999 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at the Garner Civitan Club, 1005 Poole Drive, Garner. For more information or to register, visit the GSHS Choral Reunion page on Facebook or contact Kristy Hudson Foushee firstname.lastname@example.org
Partnership for Children of Johnston County offers two programs for parents with young children.
• Motheread is a 12-week self-paced program that combines the teaching of literacy skills with child development and family empowerment issues.
• The Incredible Years parent program offers weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks. Participants practice skills to promote children’s academic, social and emotional skills.
For information on times and location, contact Erica Reid at 919-202-0002, ext. 258, or email email@example.com.
The Lake Benson boathouse is open for the season at 975 Buffaloe Road, Garner. For the months of September and October, hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturdays, and noon to 7 p.m. Fridays and Sundays. Boat rentals start at $4 an hour.
No private boats are allowed. Free fishing is available from the dock. Call Stephanie Shaffer at 919-661-6892 or visit www.garnernc.gov.
Classic Car Club meets
Memory Lane Classic Car Club meets for dinner at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. the third Monday of the month at Golden Corral, 60 Son-Lan Parkway, Garner. For more information, call 919-553-6229.
JCC classes and workshops
• Johnston Community College offers several applied industrial technology continuing education courses. For information or to register, visitjohnstoncc.edu
or call Brenda Harris at 919-209-2522.
• Johnston Community College’s Corporate Solutions is offering several training workshops this summer for business and industry professionals. Call Shelley Gardner at 919-209-2591 or firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.
• Johnston Community College will offer several new summer courses including: Beginner’s Guide to Computers, Keyboarding, Microsoft Excel 2010 for Beginners and MS PowerPoint 2010. JCC is also offering an Office Applications Certificate course and a Human Services Certificate.
An Overeaters Anonymous support group meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays at First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Lakeside Drive and N.C. 50 in Garner. Park in the rear of the church and look for the OA signs. Call Sherylyn at 919-779-6392 or Regina at 919-614-3425 for more information.
Send announcements at least two weeks before the event to email@example.com.