Garner Cleveland: Sports

Southeast Raleigh’s JaQuell Tayor grabs TD passes in 12-10 win over Knightdale

Southeast Raleigh senior wide receiver JaQuell Taylor caught two touchdown passes to help the Bulldogs nip Knightdale 12-10 on Friday night.

Southeast Raleigh converted two fumbles into short touchdown drives that Taylor finished with scoring catches of 5 yards in the third quarter and 11 yards with 3:07 left.

Southeast Raleigh improved to 4-4 overall and 3-1 in conference play, while the Knights dropped to 3-5 and 1-3.

Taylor’s game-winning touchdown catch was on a ball thrown high by quarterback Cameron Marshmon for the 6-foot-2, 180-pound junior to pull down over the defense.

The score was three plays after junior safety Isaiah Martin recovered a fumble on a first-down pass completion at midfield and returned it 30 yards to Knightdale’s 12-yard line.

“I hit him first and then my teammate hit him and the ball came out,” said Martin, referring to Lae’Quan Sellers. “The ball was loose and I picked it up and ran. That was a physical game. It’s great to win on homecoming.”

Knightdale reached midfield with one final drive, but Derrick Sloan, a 6-foot-2, 280-pound junior, broke through the offensive line for a crushing 10-yard sack that killed the possession.

Southeast Raleigh trailed 10-0 at halftime, and the comeback began in the third quarter. Quion Harris recovered a fumble at Knightdale’s 14-yard line. Taylor scored on a 5-yard fade to the left corner of the end zone on a pass from Dylan Parham.

The game opened with Knightdale jumping on its first opportunity when Southeast Raleigh attempted an onside kick that the Knights recovered at their 49-yard line.

The Knights drove 51 yards in eight plays with running back Taurez Williams scoring from the 1-yard. V-Lyle Walker’s extra point gave the Knights a 7-0 lead only 3:55 into the contest.

Southeast Raleigh’s second fumble at the 50 on a punt return was recovered by the Knights’ Corey Wiggins.

The turnover gave Knightdale the ball back at its 48-yard line. They drove to Southeast Raleigh’s 17-yard line before settling for a 34-yard field goal from Walker with 4.8 seconds remaining in the half.