A man was returned from a Texas prison to Wake County late Tuesday to face a murder charge in the shooting death of a man at a Raleigh mobile home park in 2002.
Jose Francisco Martinez, now 42, had been in the Huntsville Unit of the Texas state corrections system, and his booking papers in Wake County list the prison as his home address.
An arrest warrant from June 2002 accuses Martinez of murdering Carlos Barron Gomez, 23, on June 19. It said Gomez was shot in the chest while he was lying in bed in a trailer at the Tarts Mobile Court on Pine Limb Lane, off Hillsborough Street near the Cary town line.
It was not immediately known what crime Martinez was convicted of in Texas.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
In addition to Gomez’s death, Raleigh police also accused Martinez of shooting two other men, Vidal Ojeda and Mauricio Rea, and of firing a handgun into an occupied building at 40 Pine Limb Lane, inside the trailer park.
Police got reports in the days after Gomez died that Martinez had been seen walking on Buck Jones Road and that he looked like he had been living outdoors.
They were unable to find him, however.
When they obtained the warrants charging Martinez, police listed his address as Pine Stump Lane, which is also in the trailer park.
By later that summer, police said they thought Martinez had fled the state.