Midtown: Sports

Wakefield Connor Mitch sets state record with nine TD throws

Wakefield’s Connor Mitch set a state record with nine touchdown passes and wide receiver Jordan Fieulleteau tied the state mark with five touchdown catches in the Wolverine’s 70-42 victory over Broughton on Friday night.

The game was tied 28-28 at the half before a motivated Wakefield team detonated.

“Coach (Ron Sink) wasn’t happy and he motivated us,” Fieulleteau said. “We came out focused for the seocnd half. We hadn’t been as focused as he needed to be. We played a lot better in the second half.”

Wakefield’s win and Wake Forest-Rolesville’s 42-22 win over Millbrook set up a a showdown between undefeated Leesville Road and once-beaten Wake Forest-Rolesville for the Cap Eight 4A regular-season title..

Leesville (9-0) can wrap up an undefeated season and the Cap Eight’s top seed into the playoffs with a win over Wake Forest (9-1) next week, but Wake Forest could create a possible three-way tie for the title with a victory over Leesville.

Leesville beat Wakefield, 52-24 earlier this season and Wakefield (9-1) has beaten Wake Forest-Rolesville, 33-19.

Leesville, Wakefield and Wake Forest-Rolesville are Nos. 2, 3, and 4 behind undefeated Garner in The N&O rankings.

All three of the Cap Eight powers are expected to advance to the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs that begin Nov. 2. If Leesville wins, it will be in contention for the top seed in the 4AA East.

In other Cap Eight games Friday night, Sanderson defeated Enloe 20-0 and Leesville defeated Heritage 17-14..

Millbrook grabbed an early 9-0 lead on Wake Forest with an opening 45-yard field goal by Jarrett Cervi and a fumble return for a touchdown by Naquan Bryant on the Cougars’ first play from scrimmage.

Wake Forest came roaring back to take a 13-9 lead before Millbrook reclaimed the lead 15-13.

But the Cougars slowly took control defensively and Bryce Love’s nine-yard scoing run gave WF-R a 27-15 advantage midway in the third period. Millbrook came back again with a fumble recovery return to cut the lead to 27-22 before the Wake Forest ground game controlled the clock and tacked on the final two touchdowns.

"Tonight was our best effort all season,” Millbrook coach Clarence Inscore told the student broadcasting team after the game. “We nearly shocked the world."