A fire that left 12 apartments uninhabitable on Monday afternoon was caused by an improperly discarded cigarette, according to Raleigh fire investigators.
Fire department investigators concluded Monday night that the fire was accidental and was caused by someone improperly disposing a cigarette on a third-floor balcony, said Lt. Grant Williams of the Raleigh Fire Department.
A maintenance man at the Cambridge Apartments, off Six Forks Road, alerted some residents to the blaze. In at least one unit, no alarm had sounded minutes before the fire burst through the building’s roof, according to one renter.
No injuries were reported in the fire, which was called in at 2:19 p.m. An hour later, shaken and emotional people watched from behind yellow police tape as the last fire crews sprayed down the building’s torched top floor.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The Wake County fire marshal’s office and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives assisted with the investigation.