The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Triangle Youth Symphony: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Nov. 17, $147.50.
• Beginner Latin Dance: 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Oct. 20, $100.
• Esperanto Language and Culture Part 1: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Nov. 18, $60.
• Triangle Youth Philharmonic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Dec. 9, $150.
• Guitar Made Fun and Easy: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Oct. 6, $65.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: Mama Mia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 15, $58.
• Medical Coding II: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 16-Oct. 23, $140.
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Cake Decorating for Beginners I: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 22-Oct. 27.
• Pathway Driver Improvement Clinic - Eight-Hour Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 22-25, $95.
• Excel Introduction for Teachers: 6:45-9:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 24-Oct. 15, $85.
• Spy Escape and Evasion: 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 29-Oct. 1, $597.
• Pastry 101: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 29, $40.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Adult Kicks: 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 15-Nov. 17, $70.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Oct. 16-Nov. 18, $125.
• Parent & Teen Night Out: The French Connection: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3, $65.
• Triangle Youth String Sinfonia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 4-Nov. 20, $127.50.
• How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-30, $200.
Green Hope PTSA
The Green Hope High School PTSA in Cary is looking for officers, committee chairs and volunteers for the 2014-15 school year. For details, email Dee Deanhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chelly Williams at email@example.com.
The PTSA also seeks parent volunteers for students’ senior-year events. For details, email Dee Deanhardt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cary student earns scholarship
Eric Long of Cary earned a $1,000 2014 University of the Aftermarket Foundation Scholarship. He plans to study mechanical engineering at UNC-Charlotte.
Classroom Technology Awards
Wake Electric will accept applications from teachers for the Classroom Technology Awards grant program through Monday, Sept. 15. Grants of up to $3,000 are available. For details or to apply, call 919-863-6312 or 1-800-474-6300, email email@example.com or go to www.wemc.com/classawards.aspx.
Morrisville Elementary School’s fall festival will be from 5:30-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26, at 1519 Morrisville Parkway. There will be games, activities and food trucks with vegan and gluten-free options available. Admission is free for adults. Admission costs $15 in advance or $17 at the door for children in kindergarten or older, and $4 in advance or $5 at the door for children in preschool or younger. For tickets, go to www.morrisvilleyearround.org.
Young Composers Competition
The Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra’s Young Composers Competition will accept submissions through Wednesday, Oct. 15. The competition will be open to North Carolina high school students who are 18 or younger. The competition will target professionally focused composers with professional composition teachers or mentors, but all submissions will be considered. The winning composition will be performed by the Greensboro Symphony Youth Orchestra and will be included in a CD. For details, go to www.gsyo.org.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4.
To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, Jan. 15.