WCPSS School Expo 2015
Wake County’s public schools are holding open houses in January and February to include school tours, student performances, teacher meet-and-greets and more. They kick off Monday, Jan. 5. Go to www.wcpss.net for a schedule.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
Athens Drive High School
• Triangle Youth Symphony: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 12-April 20, $147.50.
• Digital Photos and Your Computer: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 13-27, $85.
• Esperanto Language and Culture Part 1: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 13-March 31, $60.
• Triangle Youth Philharmonic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 13-April 14, $150.
• Setting Up Your Digital Camera: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 13, $52.
• Time to Teach: 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 13-15, $125.
• Adult Kicks: 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 13-March 17, $65.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Triangle Youth String Sinfonia: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Jan. 8-April 30, $127.50.
• Wedding Planning 101: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 12-Feb. 23, $125.
• Elementary Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 13-March 3, $115.
Winter Dance Concert
Green Hope High School’s Winter Dance Concert will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 8, in the school auditorium, 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Admission costs $5.
Photo essay competition
The Cary Photographic Artists will sponsor a photo essay competition for Wake County students in ninth through 12th grade. Cash prizes range from $50 to $150, and the competition will end with an exhibit. For details, go to bit.ly/1kTh4U4. To enter, choose one of four themes: “America to Me,” “Home Town Pride,” “Student Life” or “Our Natural World.” Send four images for your theme and a paragraph relating your photography to the theme to email@example.com by Jan. 15.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host tours of the elementary school program from 8-9 a.m. and the junior high and high school program from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 13, at 1177 Ambergate Station. For information about the school, go to www.thalesacademy.org.
Cary High School students will present “IMProv” shows monthly through May. Shows start at 7 p.m. in the school auditorium at 638 Walnut St., Cary. Shows will be on Friday, Feb. 13; Thursday, March 19; Friday, April 17; and Friday, May 15. Admission costs $2. For details, go to caryhsperformingarts.com.
Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper
Green Hope High School’s Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper will be Thursday, Feb. 26, at the Contemporary Art Museum, 409 W. Martin St., Raleigh. Tickets cost $20. For details, go to www.greenhopefinearts.org.
Voice of Democracy Program
VFW’s Voice of Democracy Program, an audio-essay competition for scholarships, will accept submissions from students in grades nine through 12. The theme is “Why Veterans are Important to Our Nation’s History and Future.” For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.