Kindergarten registration open
Registration is open for kindergarten in Wake County for the 2015-16 school year. Parents are asked to register at their child’s base school – which is the elementary school assigned to their address – for the 2015-16 school year. Families assigned to the new elementary schools opening in August – Abbotts Creek and Scotts Ridge – are asked to register at their 2014-15 base school. Go to http://bit.ly/1IAAAfH for more information on kindergarten registration, including what documents are required.
The magnet school application period is Jan. 26 to Feb. 5. Go to www.wcpss.net for information. Students need to be already registered in Wake’s computer system to be able to have a magnet application.
Brier Creek information session
The school system has scheduled a meeting at Brier Creek Elementary to answer questions about a proposal to relocate the school’s students to a new facility near Morrisville. It’s Jan. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in Brier Creek’s cafeteria.
Apex musician performs
Krishna Palanivel of Apex, a student of the School of Music at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem, will perform during the Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships on Thursday, Jan. 22.
Wetlands are Wonderful contest
The Wake Soil & Water Conservation District and Novozymes Nature’s GREEN-RELEAF Composting held the Wetlands are Wonderful contest for over a thousand Wake County fifth-grade students. Students researched and illustrated different types of North Carolina wetlands. Two of the top three posters were made by Cary students: Jennifer Nguyen of Green Hope Elementary school and Oishii Basu of Farmington Woods Elementary School.
Holly Grove honors students
Holly Grove Middle School honored students Dec. 18 as part of an initiative focusing on character education. The students were nominated by their teachers for displaying a specific character trait. Wendy Naylor of Main Street Dance was the guest speaker.
The Wake County Public School System will offer the following classes through its Lifelong Learning Program. Details: 919-431-7593 or www.wcpss.net/adult-edu.
Athens Drive High School
• Catering for the Home Chef: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 26-Feb. 16, $100.
• Fundamentals of Windows 8.1: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26, $50.
• Nutrition for the Home Chef: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26-Feb. 16, $100.
• Pathway Driver Improvment Clinic: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 26-29, $95.
• Spanish for Restaurant Managers: 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 26-March 16, $125.
• Take Back Your Health: The Keys to Permanent Lifestyle Changes: 6:30-9 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26-March 16, $125.
• Voice-Overs: 7-9 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26, $35.
• Basic Crochet: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 26-March 2, $150.
• Beginner Latin Dance/Beginner Latin Dance II: 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 26-March 9, $100.
Reedy Creek Middle School
• Night and Low Light Photography: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 26, $55.
• Basic Conversational Spanish I: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 27-March 17, $125.
• Setting Up Your Digital Camera: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 28, $52.
• Indian Cooking Series: North Indian Cuisine: 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, $40.
Thales Academy tours
Thales Academy of Apex will host a tour of the elementary school program from 8-9 a.m. and the junior high and high school program from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 27, at 1177 Ambergate Station.
The school will also host open houses for the elementary school, junior high and high school programs from 5:30-6:45 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 3. For more information, go to www.thalesacademy.org.
Green Hope High School’s Freshman/Sophomore Parent Night will be from 5-6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, in the school’s auditorium at 2500 Carpenter Upchurch Road, Cary. The discussion will include high school planning, graduation requirements, college preparation and a presentation by an N.C. State University admission counselor.
Cary High School students will present “IMProv” shows monthly through May. Shows start at 7 p.m. in the school auditorium at 638 Walnut St., Cary. Shows will be on Friday, Feb. 13; Thursday, March 19; Friday, April 17; and Friday, May 15. Admission costs $2. For details, go to caryhsperformingarts.com.
Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper
Green Hope High School’s Visual Arts Soup Bowl Supper will be Thursday, Feb. 26, at the Contemporary Art Museum, 409 W. Martin St., Raleigh. Tickets cost $20. For details, go to www.greenhopefinearts.org.