Durham County

Fire puts family out of Durham apartment

A fire that began in an apartment kitchen in a building on Morehead Avenue near Maplewood Cemetery displaced the residents Sunday night, firefighters said.

Investigators were working Monday to find out what started the blaze at 1917 Morehead Ave., at the corner of Shoppers Street.

The fire was reported about 10:20 p.m., the fire department said.

Firefighters had it under control about 10 minutes after arriving, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said.

Iannuzzi said seven or eight people lived in the apartment and went to stay with relatives.

  Comments