Heavy smoke damaged a Durham home and displaced two people after incense candles were left to burn and started a fire in the basement, authorities said.
Just after 9 a.m. Sunday, firefighters responded to the house fire at 123 Barnhill Street in south Durham. They quickly put out the flames, but minor fire damage and heavy smoke damage forced the home’s two occupants out. No one was injured.
“As a reminder, candles of any type should never be placed in, on, or within tip-over distance of combustible materials of any kind,” said Chris Ianuzzi, Durham’s deputy fire chief. “Combustible materials include things like wood, paper, plastic and cloth.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer