A fire that began with cooking oil left unattended on a stove damaged an apartment building on Rochelle Street, just off Holloway Street, early Wednesday and displaced 11 people, firefighters reported.
Chris Iannuzzi, a deputy chief with the city fire department, said city and county firefighters rushed to the two-story, four-apartment building at 2918 Rochelle after the 12:19 a.m. alarm.
The first truck to arrive reported that flames were coming from two first-floor windows and a door.
Firefighters limited fire damage to the apartment where it started, but all four units had smoke and water damage, Iannuzzi said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Iannuzzi said firefighters called the American Red Cross to help two adults and six children find accommodations after the fire. The other three residents were able to find places to stay.
City firefighters also put out a fire late Tuesday in a three-story apartment building at 7315 Calibre Park Drive.
Iannuzzi said smoke was coming from the eaves of the building, but firefighters had to use a heat-imaging camera to find the source inside a wall in a third-floor apartment.
Damage was limited to the one where the fire was, one next to it and two on the second floor, Iannuzzi said, but all 12 were vacated for the night.