Firefighters and a hazmat team were called to an old factory building Thursday morning after a liquid began spilling from a severed pipe.
Just before 10:15 a.m., firefighters arrived at the old Burlington Mills factory at 9701 Capital Blvd. after a crew working in the building cut into a one-inch pipe, according to Wake Forest Fire Chief Ron Early.
“A clear liquid came out of the pipe,” Early said. “The workers smelled something unusual and called 911.”
A hazmat team from the Raleigh Fire Department contained the leak, Early said. The team determined the liquid was Formalin, a mixture of methanol and formaldehyde, a toxic substance.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
“It’s more of an irritant than anything,” Early said. “It’s not dangerous unless you ingest it or get it on the skin.”
No injuries were reported.
The hazmat team ordered workers to evacuate the building and contained the substance.