State Department of Labor investigators have released preliminary findings confirming that a 17-year-old lifeguard at a neighborhood pool in northern Wake County likely drowned after being electrocuted on Saturday, a spokesman for the department said.
The nature of Rachel Anna Rosoff’s injuries were likely the result of electric shock and drowning, said Neal O’Briant, a spokesman for the N.C. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Division.
Rosoff was a senior at Enloe High School and a lifeguard at the Heritage Point subdivision pool. A caller told a 911 dispatcher that he found her in the pool but couldn’t try to help her because of electricity in the water.
The department has opened an investigation of Aquatic Management Group, which manages the Heritage Point pool, O’Briant said. The division is waiting for a report from the medical examiner and other information before issuing a final report and possible citations.
O’Briant wouldn’t comment on the investigation. Typically, the department interviews other employees, reviews employer safety and training records and safety programs and locates other witnesses, he said. The department is required by state law to complete investigations within six months, though a spokeswoman says they generally take between three and four months.
The Wake County Sheriff’s Office issued a statement Wednesday saying that investigators had not found any evidence that a crime had occurred at the pool.
Chris Cioffi: 919-829-4802, @ReporterCioffi