An elderly woman was found dead inside her single-family home that was engulfed in flames Wednesday night.
Fire Chief Matthew Poole said firemen searched the house on the 3400 block of Benson Road and found Ida McKoy, 88, dead in her kitchen. She was not burned, Poole said, and it is likely she died of smoke inhalation.
A man was driving along N.C. 50 near Benson Road when he saw the house on fire and called 911 about 10:29 p.m. He tried to go in the house but couldn’t, Poole said.
“The fire had already vented through the roof,” he said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.