Raleigh police reviewing procedures after prisoner arrives armed at Wake jail

A woman who was among a group of people arrested early Wednesday in a raid at a West South Street nightclub had a gun hidden on her when she arrived at the Wake County Detention Center, according to an arrest warrant.

Tiffanie Lizette Bass, 32, of 409 Broad St. in Angier had a two-shot, .38-caliber handgun when authorities at the detention center on Hammond Road were getting her ready to be sent to a cell. The Wake County Sheriff’s Office calls the process “dressing out” because prisoners are given jail uniforms after being searched.

Raleigh police charged Bass with possession of a stolen firearm, carrying a concealed firearm and possession of a weapon by a prisoner in a jail.

Bass also was charged with resisting a public officer and with missing a court appearance in a 2002 misdemeanor case.

Capt. James Stevens, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, said Sheriff Donnie Harrison was referring all questions to Raleigh police about how Bass was able to get to the jail without the gun being found.

Raleigh police spokeswoman Laura Hourigan released a statement.

“RPD aspects related to the firearm located later at the jail are currently being reviewed internally to determine if departmental procedures were followed and to determine if any of those procedures should be changed in light of the occurrence,” Hourigan said.

Neither police nor the sheriff’s office disclosed where they found the gun.

Bass was among 14 people arrested at Club Rumors at 416 W. South St. during a raid by city police and state Alcohol Law Enforcement agents, officials said.

An earlier investigation indicated illegal activity was occurring inside the club, along with violence “in and around the business,” the state Department of Public Safety announced Wednesday.

The club is on the same block where one man was killed and another wounded in an apparent exchange of gunfire early one morning in late August. Three cars sped away, and when police arrived they found Ramon Antonio Shaw, 23, mortally wounded. Shaw later died at WakeMed.

Among those arrested during the raid Wednesday was the club’s owner and manager, Earl Dion Hicks, 41, whose charges included unauthorized possession of spirituous liquor; allowing controlled substance violations to occur on ABC-licensed premises; and allowing alcoholic beverage violations to occur on licensed premises by allowing sales between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m.

ALE agents also charged Hicks with possession of spirituous liquor not bearing a tax stamp and misdemeanor maintaining a business for the possession of controlled substances after discovering 34.7 grams of marijuana and 2.8 grams of cocaine on the premises.

Additional arrests are expected, state officials said.

Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer